UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted one yesterday, as the lady that had her was moving homes, and didn't want to put her through the trauma of a 4 hour car journey.

I just wondered if I would be ok to put a baby female Cavey with her, or whether she may be best left on her own for a while? Or all the time.

I'll get some pics up of her soon aswell, she's a little beauty! :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
If she has always been on her own i would leave her on her own to be honest.

I have found that some female only groups can be quite aggressive even though the books say the oposite! I have groups of 1-3 girls together with a neutered boar so that would be an option i guess.

Hope this helps. X :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm sure she'd love some company. Rescues are full of piggies needing homes so why not adopt one of them? Most good rescues will help out with introducing the guinea pigs to ensure it goes smoothly.

If you do introduce piggies yourself remember to do so on neutral territory and ensure the cage is thoroughly scrubbed to lessen the scent of the existing guinea pig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently she was with her sister, that died 2 years ago, and they never "replaced" her.

And yes, I would only get another Piggie from a Rescue centre. There are far too many of them that need new homes for me to go and buy one from either a breeder or pet shop.

I only actually got her today, and don't get her hutch until tomorrow - So would I be best to give her a few days to get used to her surroundings, or get another piggie for her straight away?

Thanks for the help, this has all been a bit of a rush! I never planned on getting any piggies, I just didn't want her to have to go to a sanctuary. :(

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
[Cas];1523859 said:
Apparently she was with her sister, that died 2 years ago, and they never "replaced" her.

And yes, I would only get another Piggie from a Rescue centre. There are far too many of them that need new homes for me to go and buy one from either a breeder or pet shop.

I only actually got her today, and don't get her hutch until tomorrow - So would I be best to give her a few days to get used to her surroundings, or get another piggie for her straight away?

Thanks for the help, this has all been a bit of a rush! I never planned on getting any piggies, I just didn't want her to have to go to a sanctuary. :(
I rescued my Basil from a horrible life in a 2 ft hutch maggot infested hutch that he had been kept on his own in all his life. Within two days of having him I let him spend a few days at a local guinea pig rescue where they bonded him with Fred and they are really happy together :) No point wasting any time, it sounds like this girly has been on her own long enough ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rescued my Basil from a horrible life in a 2 ft hutch maggot infested hutch that he had been kept on his own in all his life. Within two days of having him I let him spend a few days at a local guinea pig rescue where they bonded him with Fred and they are really happy together :) No point wasting any time, it sounds like this girly has been on her own long enough ;)
Alright I plan on doing that, I just need to find somewhere in sheffield, or really close; As I don't drive, so would be relying on my neighbour, and it would be unfair to expect him to drive too far.

Thanks for your help in making me get another pet :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
[Cas];1523886 said:
Alright I plan on doing that, I just need to find somewhere in sheffield, or really close; As I don't drive, so would be relying on my neighbour, and it would be unfair to expect him to drive too far.

Thanks for your help in making me get another pet :thumbup:
lol I only ever intended on getting 2 piggies and yet have managed to acquire 4 :eek: All good fun though and they are lovely pets :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.