Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

4 year old Alsation, help please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Newcardbateman, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Newcardbateman

Newcardbateman PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We have a 4 year old Alsation, in the house she's fine but i'll make a list of stuff we need to work on.

-Goes mental when there's a knock at the door
    -Hates men
    -When you take her out, she'll bark if someone's walking past but once out she doesn't bark at passers by.
    -Don't trust her off the lead.

Is a course a good idea? I've been reading stuff about courses which vary a lot, so a bit confused really. She's learnt to sit in her bed when someone goes out as we'll put a treat in front of her & tell her to leave it. But if someone knocks there's nothing that'll stop her from going mad.

Tried the clicky thing which again, will work with people she's used to but if you do it when someone knocks she'll completely ignore it.

Moving house so hoping the new environment will help, especially as we won't have a really loud iron door knock!

Any links would be great.

Great forum by the way, i was in a car place today which has a parrot just wandering around, climbed on my shoulder. Amazing creatures. :p

2. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

A pet obedience course would probably be a great help to both of you - not only in helping you with your current issues issues but also by giving you the skills to teach him to overcome any other issues that might crop up.

It can be difficult to find a good - positive reinforcement based - training course - but the best place to look is the APDT website: Local Dog Trainers - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK

Hope that helps.

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think I would find a trainer for one to one.. then slowly make the transition into group training.. :)

Goodluck.. :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As a guarding Breed, and being 4 years old now, and the fact you have several issues, she has had plenty of time for it all to be learned and set responses and behaviours. As you have already tried several things with out success in this case I think its maybe gone beyond suggestions on an internet forum.

The best course of action I think would be to discuss the issues with a qualified behavourist trainer, who will be able to do one to ones with you and deal with each problem, and give you a tailor made programme to deal with them. CAPBT COAPE Association of pet behaviourists and trainers are good
    www.capbt.org website e-mail pethelp@capbt.org should help you find an accredited trainer in your area.

5. Newcardbateman

Newcardbateman PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the link.

Thanks. I Tthink you're right, i also think the group would do the World of good being around other dogs.

Thank you, that's good to hear. I'll get in contact with one, thanks for the links.

Appreciate the help guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice