Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

4 month old puppy wont stop soiling his crate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kevin Joseph Campbell, Dec 31, 2018.

?

Should I crate train my dog?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kevin Joseph Campbell

Kevin Joseph Campbell PetForums Newbie

I just recently got a 4 month old siberian husky. Ive been trying to crate train him but I got him from a puppy store that had him locked up in a crate most of his life. This developed the habit of going to the bathroom in his crate. Everytime i put him in there he poops. I have never raised a puppy before and if anyone has any experience with this kind of situation please help, I have aways heard dogs naturaly dont like to soil their own cage but mine does.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have asked a moderator to move your thread to the appropriate forum.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Normally dogs prefer not to toilet where they eat and sleep but obviously if a puppy is unable to hold his toilet, he will have no choice but to do it where he is.

He is still very young too.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. The time between a puppy realising they need to toilet, and being unable to hold that toilet, is zero. So your aim is to have him outside before he can't help himself. When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he eventually wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside - once he is physically able to control his toileting obviously. If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot. As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Overnight he is unlikely to be able to control his toilet as his little bladder and bowel are underdeveloped and not strong enough to hold all night so set your alarm to take him out at least once if not twice during the night.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

As Joanne says, toilet training takes patience and training. This is true with all puppies and simply may take a little longer with yours as he has to un learn that it is ok to go in the crate.

If the crate has a poor connotation for him in regard to toilet training then the trick here will be to only use it when you know that he has done his wee/poo so that he never has the urge to go whilst napping in the crate. This may mean only using the crate for short times and then getting him out to toilet him (and getting up in the night to toilet him, too).

I presume he is happy in the crate and the immediate soiling isn't because he is anxious in there?

Another alternative would be to break the habit by using a play-pen area instead of a crate whilst you are toilet training him.

Dogs try to distance themselves from toileting near their own bed area from when they are tiny (around three weeks of age) but poor breeding practices and over use of the crate will cause a dog to put up with a wet/dirty bed. Unfortunately.

J

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d lose the crate and use a puppy pen instead as he has been used to pooping in the crate (obv had no choice in the puppy store :().

Go right back to basics with lots of toilet breaks and praise/treat when he goes outside.

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah I agree that a puppy pen or perhaps one of those fabric 'crates' may help - a more different thing to build positive associations with.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  7. Kevin Joseph Campbell

Kevin Joseph Campbell PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone for the replies! While using postive reinforcement and priase where its due, should i also use negative? If so to what extent? Obviously nothing unhumane i love him more than anything, but im finding a lot of mixed answers on the web in this area. Does it help at all or will it set my training back?

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Have a look at kikopup on YouTube. She has a great selection of puppy video tips which may help.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsTGSaiFI2cdnRuJrSox2F1yZaPMpK8nt

Also remember that dogs don't understand English or what no or stop that means. If you tell a dog to stop doing something the dog may stop but will have a whole host of other alternatives which may also be undesirable. It's always best to train something that you do want in a situation rather than what you don't want. Eg sitting will get fuss and attention but jumping up won't.

#8 kittih, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

In terms of training, positive and negative have very specific meanings - in the same way as mathematics. So positive means to add something, negative means to take something away. To encourage a behaviour we want, we add (positive) a reward. To discourage a behaviour we want to stop, there are times when we take away (negative) the thing causing that behaviour - for example when puppies mouth we do sometimes find that walking out of the room teaches them that teeth on skin equals end of fun. We are taking away the source of the behaviour - us. That said, for most behaviours that we want to stop, it's better to teach a different, alternative behaviour that we can positively reward. For example a dog that jumps up to greet you can be taught a solid sit as an alternative and be rewarded.

And lessons learned through positive reward and a bond built on force free training and mutual respect are much stronger. Just think of people you have worked for and teachers in your schools - the ones you want to give your best performance for will undoubtedly be the ones you respected, not the bullies who wielded their power like a big stick.

Torin., lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. danielled

danielled Guest

No you shouldn’t use negative reinforcement.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. meerakat07

meerakat07 PetForums Newbie

also if you are planning on keeping the crate you will need to change or thoroughly clean the bedding and crate as the smell of its own potty can make your dog inclined to go there again

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice