Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

4 month old puppy throws up food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Acoustics4me, May 25, 2010.

1. Acoustics4me

Acoustics4me PetForums Newbie

Hey there everyone,

I have a new 4 month old puppy who, before we got him, was fed commercial food with the addition of raw chicken necks. When we got him home I immediately threw out the dry dog food and plastic looking treats and started him on a completely raw prey diet. We've only had him for about a week (oh, and he's doing awesome with his toilet training!), and he is throwing his food up about an hour or two after he eats it. It is undigested. Of course, this concerns me because he is only a puppy and growing at the rate of knots. It was a large amount of wild (previously frozen) pork he was eating, so today I gave him a small amount of pork, and a little beef, and then put him in his crate to rest in the hopes his tummy will remain settled. I'll try feeding him three times a day (smaller amounts) rather than twice and see how he gets on. But I was wondering if anyone here has had this problem, how they've overcome it, what tips you may have for me, etc...

It may just be that he found three all pork feeds a little rich (here's hoping).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Me:)

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

at 4 months your puppy should be eating at least 3, and preferbaly 4 times a day. SO definitly smaller mroe frequent meals are a good starting point!

3. Acoustics4me

They were only feeding him twice, so I thought I'd start with that. But 3 times will be better, I think.

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,i do agree that young pups should be having 3-4 sml meals per day.You say you threw the food the breeder was giving him out as soon as you got home and began him on a raw food diet.This could be part of the problem,as his tummy will have been used to the kibble food.If you had done it slowly over several days,it may have been gentler on pups tummy.The raw food will be providing a different source of protein(amongst other things)that your pup wont have been used to and may find the sudden change just a little too much.
    There are lots of members who feed raw diet,and hopefully they will come and advise you shortly.
    Hope you get it sorted soon :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Acoustics4me

Hey'a.

Well, it looks as if the problem was too large meals only twice a day. But yesterday I fed him smaller portions and spread them to three times daily, and no throwing up - so far!...lol. He seems good now, but will let you know if I have further problems.

Thanks guys.

6. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

Having fed a raw diet for a while, I'd be vary of feeding quite so much pork. In fact, I don't think I ever fed my lot pork at all.

7. Acoustics4me

Hey'a. Thanks for your advice. Could you explain why, though? I mean pork is just another animal. I always freeze our pork for three weeks before I feed it to kill the specific parasite it has, but it shouldn't be a problem outside of that. I live in NZ, and we have a big pig hunting past time here. A lot of those hunters feed their pig dogs a lot of pork and there seems to be no issue with that.

I see you love RR's. I have a five year old RR bitch. She's one of the best dogs I've ever owned! :eek:)

Me

8. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Pork is normally a lot fattier than chicken or beef. Most commercial food is based around chicken, beef and fish. I've never seen anyone feed pork to be honest.

9. Acoustics4me

Thanks for that, Kaisa :) Wild pork is different to commercially farmed pork. The fat is much less. In fact, I always have to buy the skin from the supermarket to make crackling because you can't make it as successfully with wild pork (well, at least I can't...lol) because it is leaner. However, I'll take it into consideration and feed him less pork when I do feed pork. He's been really good for two days now that I've split his meals and fed him smaller amounts. I have also stopped him playing with my RR after he's eaten and have put him in his crate. I'm sure this has helped also.

For Ridgie Lover, I'll put a pic of my RR bitch. I'd love to see a picture of yours :)

Cheers, and thanks for all the good info guys.

[​IMG]

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh she is stunning!!! glad to hear pups tummy is more settled :)

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

She is stunning. Love RR :)

Also, after you've fed him, pop him in his crate for 30 mins of chill out time, then take him out to the toilet. Exercise straight after eating, like for us humans, isn't good as the food won't have settled in the stomach. I find that Holly (although generally mental all the time), is a little more chilled once she's been crated and toiletted :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice