Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

4 month old kitten vomiting? Is this serious or common?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Alexandra Pineda, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Alexandra Pineda

Alexandra Pineda PetForums Newbie

I have two kittens one male one female. I woke up to my male kitten having vomited all over his crate and bed which also got on my female kitten. They are four months old. I noticed the vomit left was yellow and slimy so I looked it up and concluded it must be bile. I also found there was some thrown up food in another corner of the crate. So, that was at like 630 AM. Then around 7:30-8 he threw up again. More yellowish but this time bubbly looking stuff. No food but just yellowish clearish . I tried to give him water this whole time as well as a little food but he hasn’t been interested in either. Then again maybe at 845 he threw up again! I’m really worried. He’s not trembling or anything but he won’t eat or drink. And now that it’s 10AM, he hasn’t thrown up again thank god, but he still won’t eat or drink He is now sleeping. I left him water in his crate just the same. What could this be?

The only thing I could think of that changed their environment drastically over the last week is: I got a new wet food from Purina for them. But other than that I had been feeding them instinct food. They’ve been eating it for several days now however so I’m not sure if that’s the issue. Also I took them both flea baths but only with dawn. This was also several days ago. Also my male kitten is very good aggressive I would say. He doesn’t get hostile but he’s always extremely excited for food and always eats a lot more than my female kitten. I’m a newbie so I’m really worried. Thanks !!!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Alexandra Pineda and welcome :)

How long is it since your male kitten has eaten [and kept his food down]? If it is more than 12 hours since he ate then you need to contact a vet.

If he is not eating and is not drinking lots of water to compensate then he will soon become weak and dehydrated. When kittens of his age become dehydrated they can go downhill rapidly and become seriously ill. Please at least phone the Out-of-Hours vet for advice this evening. Are you in the UK?

I am puzzled as to why 4 month old kittens are being kept in a crate? At their age it is essential for their development that they are free to explore their home, run around, play, leap and climb. At 4 months old I wouldn't crate kittens even at night. Unless a kitten was recovering from a serious injury that required cage rest.

#2 chillminx, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    gskinner123, lorilu and buffie like this.
  3. Alexandra Pineda

Alexandra Pineda PetForums Newbie

Shortly after this he did eat very little like maybe be a teaspoon of wet and mixed in hard food. Then he had some water. He wandered around for the next 25 minutes, came back had a little more of water and food. Then he was pretty normal for a while. He took a nap on the bed but not 20 minutes ago did he throw up all the food he ate again on my bed. It was brown this time and some clear liquid as well... I’m not sure if I should try to keep feeding him? I have left him water out however.

Well firstly no I am not in the UK. I actually live in a converted school bus. We keep the crate for when we are driving which is usually at night. The kittens get very spooked. While I sleep my partner drives, etc. We are working on training these guys but we didn’t get them til they were about 2months old, and we had just moved into our Skoolie so training didn’t go all that well. We mostly have been trying to let them stay out at night but we find that they find themselves getting into dangerous parts of the house like the stove and such at night. So we keep the crate only for now until we can properly train them. We also made sure it’s big enough for them to have their litter box & food inside as well as their bed.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Alexandra Pineda - as he is unable to keep food down you must take him to the vet. Please treat this as an emergency, it is possible he may have a blockage in his intestine preventing the food passing through his gut.

Or he may have a condition called "intussusception" causing his intestine to fold in on itself and causing a blockage. This can come on quickly and can be very dangerous. .

And there is a serious risk of dehdyration because he is not able to keep anything down.

Please do not delay, get him to a vet as soon as possible.

I understand the attraction of a life on the road in a converted school bus, but it sounds like a small and restricting area for 2 kittens to live happily in. Are you planning to train them to walk on a harness and leash when they get older (and of course after they have been neutered)?

TriTri likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Alexandra Pineda - if your kitten is still unable to keep down food I hope he has been seen by the vet ?

Please let us know how he is?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice