Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

4 month old kitten destroying everything

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by whidgsb, Nov 28, 2018.

1. whidgsb

whidgsb PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone, hoping for a bit of advice.

I am a first time cat owner, she is four months old. I have only had her a week and so far she has destroyed two sets of curtains, she has taken to a bit of carpet in the corner behind the door and is shredding it, she has put a big gash in the side of my couch, knocked the tv over twice (Can't have the tv on at all or she will go for it, doesn't matter what is on, as soon as I switch it on she jumps up and starts swatting the screen with every movement) she scratches the walls and doors, chewed up my phone charger, smashed a lamp etc, the list goes on. She does use her litter tray though so there is that lol.

I hate myself for this but I am already thinking of rehoming her, it has only been a week and I am stressed out with it all, I know I am not supposed to feel this way, I am supposed to be enjoying her. I didn't rush into getting her, spent a few months getting everything I would need for her before I got her, she has scratchy posts in every room, which she does use, its just she uses everything else as well. I play with her, she has plenty of toys which she does play with.

Will she grow out of a lot of this and calm down a little bit as she gets older? I know a lot of this is just normal kitten stuff, and I know they are playful etc I just wasn't expecting this amount of damage in such a short time and not sure if I can cope.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Kittens are bonkers but do calm down.

The way to deal with the damage is to make everything as cat proof as possible. Remove any breakable objects. Put wires in non accessible places or cover them up and put throws over the couch so that claws cannot damage.

Curtains are fair game when they are young and light enough to go up them. This stops as they get heavier (normally). I haven't had kittens for many years but I always tied curtains up beyond kitten reach when they were in a room I couldn't supervise.

Carpets are attractive to cats especially around doorways particularly doorways perceived as entrances/ exits to the kittens territory as these are areas to scent mark to tell intruders to keep away. This is often by scratching - they have scent glands in their paws. I used to cover these areas with the plastic carpet guard material you can use as runners in a hallway.

To improve things play lots of interactive games. You can put treats in play balls and use snuffle mats to hide treats in to keep his brain engaged.

Saffy Cat, lymorelynn, Orla and 3 others like this.
  3. Karic

Karic PetForums Junior

You certainly do need to make your home a bit kitten proof. They do get up to lots of mischief - blu tack is your friend for precious ornaments! And your tv must be terribly light if a 4 month kitten can knock it over! Play with her a lot and tire her out - that is the answer! As far as scratching goes, play with her with a fishing toy round and about the scratching post - she will soon work out what it's for. Kittens are delightful but they are lots of work and fun when they are young.

Orla and chillminx like this.
  4. Feddysmum

Feddysmum PetForums Newbie

Hi Karik I have 4 cats 3 adult and a baby 9 months old they all scratch at anything they can so to solve the scratching of the corner of the walls I got Perspex corner strips to put on got them of the net carpets are a bit more of a problem I have hardwood flooring put down but still they scratch at the bathroom and stairs carpet it would be a pitty to rehome him as they bring life and fun to a home. Good Luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice