Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

4 1/2 month dachshund sleeping alone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HOPEXXELIZABETH, Nov 26, 2019.

1. HOPEXXELIZABETH

HOPEXXELIZABETH PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I’m new to this website and being a dog owner so please be patient with me.
    Me and my partner bought our loved puppy daisy dachshund home at 11 weeks. She is now 4 1/2 months and I feel we’ve made a few mistakes and I’m just seeking advice on how to correct these as now it’s getting to the point that it’s really wearing us down, we love her so much but there’s two issues we are struggling with.

the first being, she will not sleep alone down stairs or in any other room other than our bedroom and we’ve tried everything. The first few nights we let her sleep in our room but on her own bed and at first she was trying to jump up and get into bed with us but we persevered and eventually got her to sleep on her own bed. However she then started to go to the “toilet” in the middle of the night without making us aware she needed to go at all , she would silently wake up and do her business and we would wake to a package in the morning time. I know it’s not her fault she’s still a puppy. So after doing some research online I decided to invest in a crate, which in our bedroom she sleeps in fine, apart from waking up whimpering at around 5am. Ideally we do not want her sleeping in our bedroom as a permanent solution, so we’ve tried her downstairs on a couple of occasions each were totally unsuccessful. One time we tried her in her crate, we played, took her outside to toilet and then let her wander in her crate and go to sleep as we were watching tv downstairs. We closed her crate door and went to our own bedroom and within ten minutes she’s awake crying, we tried to ignore it but it gradually builds until it’s louder and louder and louder to the point that the neighbours would hear and it would disturb them, so we land up bringing her upstairs , along we her crate and hey presto she goes straight to sleep.
    We tried this on another occasion but let her be more free and didn’t close the crate, on this occasion she had an accident by the backdoor , even though she did both wee and poo before before bedtime and she wandered around for awhile and then Cried at the stair gate at the bottom of the stairs and the same thing happened. On both occasions we left her the tv on, on a low volume as we’ve been told this helps.

Please any advice would be appreciated thank you x

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d stick with the crate in your bedroom again for now to reestablish stress free night times.

After a few weeks, gradually move the crate away to the other side of the room, outside on landing with door open, etc. Or put it in the lounge and sleep on the sofa for a few nights so she gets used to bring downstairs.

Any anxiety and you’re going too fast.

Jack has a bed in our room and the choice of the lounge sofa and pleases himself, but he’s 100% clean indoors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice