Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3wk old hungry kittens!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by thompsonk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Tilda's babies are 3wks old today. They are feeding a lot and a couple of them are always screaming for more. Should I start weaning or feed them something like Cimicat? They are licking hands, would they be able to take weaning food?

xx

2. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

im no expert but our cats had kittens 5 weeks ago so we have got 3 litters at the moment, i started trying to wean ours at about 3 weeks, to start with they would only take a little bit of food off my finger but by 4 weeks they were all eating one meal a day, and by the end of the fourth weeks they were all happily tucking in to 3 meals a day.
    i cant see any harm in you trying to wean them now, after all, if they arent ready they wont eat x

3. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

It's worth a try - I usually start weaning mine between around three and a half - 4 weeks. You could try the Cimicat or RC Milk but you could also try a little diluted evap with perhaps a little bit of honey mixed in which helps give energy.

These were a litter from last year (actually a year today!) having their first go at weaning (they are just 3 weeks here - mum didn't have a lot of milk) - this is just diluted evap

YouTube - Rio's Babies First "Meal"

:D

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Ours made a great escape out of their box at around 3/4 weeks, they then started by eating/nibbling on Mistys Royal Canin biscuits, I only knew this when I seen 2 tiny poos! We then added the Cimicat and some fish and few litter trays and rest is history! :D

5. its worth a try, i usually started weaning around 4 weeks, but earlier if it was a larger litter, younger mum, or handreared kittens.

Give it a go!

6. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Ours had milk on a saucer and RC baby cat mouse from 4 weeks.
    Good luck! :)

7. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

We started weaning ours at around 3 weeks as well with whiskers kitten food but with LOTS of water added ... when you do start weaning i would say always add water otherwise you end up with little bloated constipated kittens

:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice