Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3rd Heat/Season (2 yr old) with increased swelling of vulva

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nancy and Mazie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Nancy and Mazie

Nancy and Mazie PetForums Newbie

This is my dogs third time going into heat. We thought she stopped bleeding 2 days ago but there are fresh drops this morning. Her vulva looks much larger than I remember it the last two times. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. I don't think she's in pain or feeling unwell. She's more cuddly than usual, doesn't want to be left alone but also doesn't play as much as normal. These are all the same behavior changes as the past. Otherwise I'd be calling my vet.

The second heat had a lot more bleeding than the first. I think she's bleeding even more this time but cleaning up better.
    Is it typical for there to be these changes as they get older?

#1 Nancy and Mazie, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

How many days since she started bleeding - ie what day is she in her cycle ?
    Did the bleeding stop altogether ?
    Any odour to the current discharge ?
    Drinking any more than usual, vomiting, diarrhoea , loss of appetite ?
    My old dog started bleeding quite heavily right at the end of her last season, just as we thought she'd finished. She turned out to have metritis and needed an urgent spay .
    If you're at all worried please take your girl to the vet today.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Nancy and Mazie

My husband is off work right now and he will take her if he suspects she's not right. He's more swift to take them to the vet than I am. The first drop of blood was seen June 29. We hadn't noticed new blood the last 2 days but there are 3 drops on a freshly mopped floor next to where she was sleeping. It's also possible our younger female went into heat. II Notice some puffiness starting on her too. She had her first heat in January so it wouldn't be unusual and I know they can trigger one another. Her appetite is normal, she even plays normally, albeit for shorter times. Her behavioral change is exactly what it was the last time. No pus or mucous noted, only blood. It's pretty pale now, perhaps why I didn't notice new drops on a dirty floor.

I wasn't surprised when the second heat was heavier than the first, but this one surprises me, more the large vulva than the bleeding. It looks like a peach. She's a big dog, about 135 lbs and not overweight. It got big before but this seems much larger. If she lays right in good light I'll get a photo at least for my own future comparison if not to share.

4. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

If her season started in 29/6 she's two weeks in her season ang got at least one week more. She is in the middle of it now so please supervise carefully.

5. Nancy and Mazie

I'm aware. Thanks for the support. Perhaps that's why she's extra poofy - Prime time for making puppies. If she seems unwell we will get her looked at. She's my first dog and my husband has no adult experience with an intact female so this is new territory.

6. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

I understand. But what you describe sounds completely normal to me ( the swelling) Is there another reason you are worried?

7. Nancy and Mazie

It's a lot larger than last time, before it was more like a large apricot not a medium large peach. I'm not worried. I'm curious if this is normal variation or because she's older or if it is something I should be worried about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice