Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 yo cat desperately trying to go out - please help.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Eve.w38, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Eve.w38

Eve.w38 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    We are new to this forum (me and my 3 years old cat Simba) but hope you can share your experience and knowledge.
    Nearly 2 months ago we adopted Simba from Lady who could no longer keep him. She told us that he is very shy indoor cat and in the past shown not interested of going out even when encouraged. As far as I understand he could access roof through the open window but he wasn't keen.
    Somehow Simba changed his priorities and twice he managed to slipped out to the front garden. He was super interested to explore but also super nervous. I ended up picking him up and carry home cos he did not respond to my calls. He kept on hissing at me and once put indoor he attacked me :(
    Since that incident he really wants to go out - he waits for front door to open or meows to let him out.
    I feel very bad for keeping him in but thoughts of Simba running away breaks my heart. What should I do? Is there a better way to introduce him to outdoor? Please help.

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, I can understand your dilemma! You could try cat-proofing your garden with netting and metal brackets (see sticky thread at top of page), or if that's not possible, building a cat run. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just panels with metal mesh held together with cable ties if necessary. But sturdy and ideally leaning against your back door or window to give Simba easy access to his cat run. If neither of these ideas are an option, you could try to harness train him so he will only go out when you take him on an extending lead. My Gracie has a cat run and extending lead, she seems happy with this arrangement. I hope Simba will take to it.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Eve.w38 and welcome :)

The best thing for Simba, as he has never been an outdoor cat, would be either to build him a cat-run (or "catio) attached to the house with access through a cat flap on the back door, or cat proof your back garden, so he can enjoy the outdoors safely.

Here is a link to a pinned thread where forum members share the cat proofing methods that have worked for them:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he’s not neutered get him done ASAP as that could be a reason too.

5. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

My boy got out once as a visitor left the door open, I had no idea and it had been open for at least an hour, so I’ve no idea how long he was out for but for a couple of months afterwards he kept trying to get out, always hanging around the doors etc as you came and went but he did eventually settle down. I plan to cat proof my garden preferably or build a cat run for my two. I don’t have a huge garden but it’s better than nothing.

Make sure to give him lots to do in the house. Nice big cat tree for him climbing might be appreciated, toys (puzzle toys are good) and some wand toy (I recommend something like the flying frenzy) fun with you daily will help tire him out physically. So maybe just upping his mental and physical stimulus will help him to settle easier?

6. Eve.w38

Eve.w38 PetForums Newbie

Hi all and thanks for advice.
    Unfortunately we only own front garden which leads to front door on the first floor (there are garages under my flat) so building catio is not an option. We can of course cat proof fence but as it’s main entry to the premise it will never be as safe as back garden.
    Simba has all his vaccinations done and has been neutered too.

I think for a time being I’ll try to distract him from the door as I don’t feel comfortable with letting him out.

Gallifreyangirl and lorilu like this.
  7. Mrs Brown

Mrs Brown PetForums Member

I haven't read all the cat harness threads but my neighbour acquired two unrelated kittens a couple of months ago and apart from the fact I want to kidnap them as they are adorable (what kittens aren't!!) I was chatting to her with regard to letting them out as she lives in an upper flat with no access for cats to go in or out etc. She said she was envious of mine who can go out if they choose.

She told me she bought harnesses/leads so they can safely go for walks. Her kitties are just about old enough now to go outdoors and today for the first time I saw her go along the road with one of them in his harness and lead. He was jumping on the grass and skipping along. Ideal solution and it attracts a lot of attention as it is not a common sight to see a cat on a lead. Maybe not as good as free roaming but certainly the next best thing if a cat gets used to the way it can enjoy the outdoors. It is certainly worth a try and if I had the same situation I would give it a go!

(my neighbour will not have to suffer the dead and injured mousey problem either!)

:Cat:Cat:Cat:Cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice