Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 year old dog crying at night??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Matthew Reed, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Matthew Reed

Matthew Reed PetForums Newbie

Hello, 1 of our dogs has started crying at night. They have always slept down in the kitchen. Usually they spend time with us upstairs before bed time. She has started crying the last 2 nights once taken down stairs and put to bed.
    We did the first night go down to her once because obviously worried to hear her making that noise, and she was excited as if we have been gone a week. She settled down and as soon as we left started again. She dosnt appear in pain, goes up the garden to the bathroom ok, it just comes across as separation anxiety.

Really don't know what to do its the 2nd night of it and its currently 4am still going. The dog is 3.5 yrs and cannot think of anything that may have changed to start this behaviour.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t leave her to cry as that will just create more anxiety if that’s the cause.

Could she have tum troubles?

I would have her bed close to me and see if she settles.

Then, after she’s settled a few nights you could try slowly moving her back.

It could be outside noises such as a fox that’s upset her or it could be she gets cold where she sleeps currently (my kitchen is freezing at night) so consider some gentle heating in there or try them both in a different room.

LittleMow, Burrowzig and JoanneF like this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

We’ve had a fox and it’s really bothered one of my dogs when it does pass through. I agree with @Lurcherlad maybe have her close for a while. Could also be cold ? The temperature has dropped a lot.

LittleMow, JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Matthew Reed

Matthew Reed PetForums Newbie

Thankyou everyone, it definitely has got colder normally she snuggles up with her brother. She did finally stop and we have just gone down to her now. I will bare in mind the bringing her upstairs with her bed but they are definitely opportunistic and will probably want to be on the bed all the time haha.
    I didn't like hearing her upset but this is the first time she's ever been like it and all I saw on Internet was not to go down to her.
    Thanks for you advice :)

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If you bring her upstairs, it doesn't have to be forever. But it might help to move her back to her proper place in increments - a few nights outside your room, a few nights at the top of the stair etc

LittleMow and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice