Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 Year old Cat and new kitten advice please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emma-Jayne, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading for a while.

I am hoping to get a kitten as company for me and a little sister for my Moriarty. I have a few concerns which I could use some advice on.

Fist let me tell you about my baby boy Moriarty. He is a tabby who turned three last week (yes I got him a gift!) I adopted him from a rescue center at christmas time 2009 when he was about 8 months old.

They told me when I adopted him I would be best not to have other animals as he is a complete wimp. He lived with a dog for a while and they got on great and he has never been afraid of cats even though they were mean to him!

Over the past couple of years he has made friends with a lot of cats and even has a girlfriend (he's neutered), but when you open the window and shout her name he runs to go and look for her! He hasn't been picked on either.

I have been thinking of adopting another cat but I've told a kitten would be better as he is a wimp someone younger would be better as it wouldn't frighten to him?

Does any one have any advice on introducing them to each other?
    Also Moriarty and I are very close. As I am retired due to ill health I am at home with him all day. ( I am disabled but this won't affect my looking after a kitten). I am worried he may think he's being replaced. I have always had more mature cats but know they wouldn't be appropriate for Moriarty as they may be dominate over him.
    Whats the best way of dealing with the situation so all are happy.

Sorry for the long post

Emz

#1 Emma-Jayne, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Sorry for double post. Forgot you all like pictures :D
    The first is the first night I brought him home. I woke up and there he was!
    The second he fell asleep during a tickle :)

Attached Files:

3. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! Hun! :) didn't wont to read and run, :) i'm sure you will get help soon! :D

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I dont think him being a wimp really has any bearing on who to adopt. One of my cats is an utter moaner and hes fine with my new kitten.

There are a tonne of kittens in rescue centres at the moment so I would definitely look into getting one of those. An older cat could also work. They wont always be dominant. If you are worried about this I would go for another neutered boy.

Usually rescues are happy to take cats back if they dont work out, but with the right introduction there is no reason it wouldnt work out.

5. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

What a scrummy boy! :D

6. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Thank you all for the welcome.
    I am definatley looking at a kitten from a rescue. I have been a regular visitor to the sanctuary where I got Moriarty and it was on my last visit they recommended one of their kittens as they knew I was looking.

Would a boy be better than a girl?

Am I just being an over protective mummy :D I want to make sure I do the right thing for my baby boy.

7. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I'd go for a boy. They tend to be less territorial as long as they are neutered :)

8. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

That's good to hear. I've seen a few kittens but they are only 9 weeks (they will be with mum a while more though)
    When can a male cat be neutered and will it be ok to bring a boy home before he is neutered or will that cause a territorial dispute? (Moriarty was neutered at 8 months when I got him as he was a stray).

I have always had more mature cats so I'm trying to learn as much about kitten care as I can before I fully decide to adopt.

9. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hiya, had quick look of your snaps, hes a beauty. 2nd pic is adorable. I cant give you any advice as i only have the one , no dout someone else will pop along soon. I love his name btw

10. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome, I had a cat years ago who was also about 3 years of age when we introduced a kitten. The 3 year old had been a little wild when a kitten but had become a complete softie with us. We were worried just like you, we introduced them slowly and with supervision, after some initial wariness and hissing from the elder cat, they were fine and by the end of the day were snuggled up together and became the best of friends. Hope it works out for you too. Incidentally they were both boys :)

11. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Thanks he's my cutie baby.

The second pic he like sleeping with a paw on me and sometimes he ends up like this :rolleyes: I named him Moriarty as I wanted to give him a tough guy supervillan name. So Professor James Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes it is. It's funny when ever he has a dopey moment I call him professor :D

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Good luck when you find a kitten to bring home as a friend for Moriarty - I love the name :thumbsup:. I'm just introducing a new kitten to my 2 1/2 year old cat and all seems to be going okay so far. I don't think it helps in my situation that the older girl is not neutered and nor will the new one be (breeding queens) so I expect a few hisses and growls but I think a young male would be a great friend for Moriarty.
    It shouldn't make any difference if your new kitten is not neutered as soon as you get him but you may find hormones starting to cause a little trouble as comes into his 'teenage' stage. He should be neutered at around 5 months though some rescues will neuter early before kittens go to new homes.

13. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I'm glad they're doing ok :D
    I'm off to the sanctuary later on to see who they have. If you are all good I will take some pictures of all the babbies. ;)

I love visiting the sanctuary but it breaks my heart to see them all needing homes. :cryin:

14. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Hi all,

I went to visit the sanctuary and here are the babbies. I have decided to adopt one of them and will hopefully pick her up on Friday.
    I went to pets at home and spent nearly £150 on supplies in pink. I don't even like pink!!!!!!!!!!
    Any name suggestions???
    So far I have:
    Lizzie
    Katie (After our Queen to be)

Attached Files:

15. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Awwwww too cute! :D

There must be a way to find old posts on this forum on making introductions as this is such a common topic and there is always lots of good advice :p

I think taking it slow is best so set up a kitten room where she can be separate at the beginning...

16. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Will do. I have just kitted out the spare room for her. It looks like a pet shop explosion. It just dawned on me that she will probably enjoy the boxes more than what was in them!

Everyone here has given me some great advice and I have a fair idea of what to expect.

Big thanks to everyone for your help and well whishes.
    I'll update on Friday.

Emz xxx

17. Olly Tosh

Olly Tosh PetForums Junior

Good luck for friday. She is going to be one lucky girl. I love the name Lizzie :D

18. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Thanks can't wait Lizzy seems to suit her but have a few others in mind too. Moriarty knows something is happening though. He keeps going to the door of the spare room and meowing. I keep telling him his little sisters not here yet, but he doesn't seem to believe me. :rolleyes:

19. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

What a beautiful girl she is. Good luck for Friday :)

20. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i also think another boy would be better. love the pictures he looks a real sweetie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice