Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 days old now.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by foxyroxy1979, Apr 7, 2011.

1. foxyroxy1979

foxyroxy1979 PetForums Junior

Morning all, as Honey has now had her pups, they are 3 days onle and they all are putting on weight. The lowest weight gain is 1.8oz and the highest 2.33. Am I right in saying these are good weight gains for shih tzu's? Anyway on a different note I didn't use my Dopram v and I believe whelping time is the time it is needed. (Please tell me if I'm wrong) so I was wondering if people were still having trouble getting any and if so would anyone want mine? Send me a pm if you do xx

2. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

ooh those are very good weight gains. I work in grams and on day 3 my biggest gain was just 33g, that was on a puppy that was 224g or 7.9oz born.

How is mum with them now ? Is she ok for you to leave her with the babies ?

3. foxyroxy1979

Mums doing well thanks. When I brought her home she wouldn't get in the box with them but now she won't leave them alone. I was hand feeding her but this morning she just got up and stood waiting for food in the kichen. She didn't eat much at all yesterday but today she's eaten more. I haven't left her though as she keeps laying on them. She's doing it on purpose as she will circle around them then layherself directly over, I think she's trying to keep them warm. Do you think I should stop her everytime or only if the cry? Some of the time the pups have pushed themselves underneath her so I pull them away but I'm not sure if I should be putting a bit more trust in her and let her get on with things?

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Any pups that go under her, immediately pull them out. Its likely the the ones that don't cry when she's on them, can't cry because all the air has been squashed out of them. Take nothing to chance.

5. foxyroxy1979

Thats what I thought. Glad that's what I've been doing. Thank you x

6. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

We stayed with the mum and pups for the first week taking shifts sort of, I stayed up til 4am and OH woke up at 6.30am so only alone for 2 and half hours. There was a problem with one of them at a week old so that meant more late night and long shifts as we were giving her feeds and fluids every couple of hours to keep her going. That went on for 3 days and then she went back on the teat.

I still stay up til very late just to be sure that everyone is settled and one of us is usually up at 6.30am.

If she's laying on any of them, get them out asap. I tend to get Coco to lay down and then line them all up myself so I can be sure they all get a good go of each teat and put the smaller ones on the back teats first so they get a good go. Ours are in the main room with us so we can see whats happening at all times during the time we're awake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice