Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 days old and ?gasping for air........

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by NicolaC, Aug 19, 2009.

1. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

Evening all, my cat had a litter of 4 kittens on sunday, all of which seemed to be doing well until today. One of the kittens seems to be gasping for breath at times but he is latching on fine and seems to take a good feed (no weight loss that I know of). This is happening when Fizz leaves the box for a feed etc.....

Do you think he could be ill, or is he just trying to call for mum?

TIA
    Nic x

2. kazijay

kazijay PetForums Member

it sounds like he could just be "hissing" some very tiny kittens hiss when you go near and look as if they are gasping for air,. they know you are there but because they are blind they use it as a defence mechanism-- but if he is the only one that does it keep an eye he may not be well or it could be that he is just going to be a feisty little thing

3. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

thanks for your reply, it kind of makes sense because he does turn his head towards me when he does it............ also his breathing seems fine.

I'll sleep better tonight,
    thankyou xx

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I agree its hissing. Some of my kittens did this, even when the eyes are open they can still do it if you catch them unaware.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice