Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

3 day old wondering rabbit, please help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kelly-m-e, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I went to look at some baby rabbits, but fell in love with an older female they were also selling. They said she was about 10 months old. After having her for a week she started building a nest. I contacted the previous owner and asked if she had ever been with a male but they said no. But on Friday morning she gave birth to 7 (I think) babies. As she is really shy and nervous so I tried not to touch the babies or the box she had them in.
    When I went to feed her evening meal one of the tiny babies was wondering around the cage. I thought I had no choice but to pick it up and put it back into the nest box. The mom (sugar) didn't seem to mind. But once it was back in the box it started to crawl back towards the entrance to the box. Is this normal for tiny babies? If it keeps doing it what should I do?

Thanks for reading. :)

2. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Sometimes you do get the odd wanderer and to be honest it is a nightmare.
    You did the right thing putting it back and the only thing you can try is to put some sort of edging round the nest to keep it in.
    Obviously this poses a problem as you do not want to interfere with the babies too much but even if you can put some extra bedding and bulk it up to make a barrier it may just help.

I wonder if the people knew she had been with a male or if it was a genuine wrongly sexed rabbit problem.Have you told them she gave birth.

3. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Agree, maybe put the nest and babies in a cardboard box that mum can easily get into (Cut one of the sides partially down so while they can not get out, mum can access them for feeding)

If the "breeder" asks for the babies back when of weaning age (8 weeks) I would refuse, as by the sounds, they have NO idea what they are doing, especially to sell a pregnant doe :rolleyes:

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw it must have been very stressful for her, hope all the babies are ok, I would just leave a load of nesting materials (hay or commercial pet bedding) etc for the mum to make a bigger nest with. Although the mum can pick the bedding up in her mouth she can move the babies, so keep an eye on the wanderer as often as possible as if he gets too cold hes had it. good luck!! and I wouldnt let the person you brought them off have any of them, but it might be worth finding out who the dad was incase they turn into super big bunnies or they man bunny has been sold as a female.

5. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

Thanks for your help everyone,
    It wasn't a breeder who I bought them off. It was just a family with two sister rabbits (one of which I had) and a seperate male who was dad to the babies I was going to look at. All the rabbits were small lops. He said he couldn't cope with all of them and sugar just looked so miserable I had to have her!! I thought the babies had a better chance of finding homes than she did!! (Male rabbit and mom to babies were not related to the sisters)
    The babies are already in a box with lots of bedding but it still managed to crawl out!! When I gave her veg this morning he was still in the nest, so fingers crossed he's settled down abit!

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice