Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

3 a crowd?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Shady, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Shady

Shady PetForums Member

As you know (or probably don't) I have had 2 young female ferrets for about 2 months now. I love them to bits and they're really starting to bond with me.

About 2 weeks ago I lost one of my dogs. She was 14 years old and went very, very suddenly (fine in the morning, by mid-day she was in agony.) - It was a mass on her liver (that we didn't know she had) that had ruptured and we could do nothing for her.

She left behind her litter sister and so far she seems to be coping ok. But it got me to thinking (or over thinking as I tend to do). Saffy and Poppy (my 2 ferrets) are litter sisters and VERY close. I would hate for one of them to be left on their own like my dog was. I hope that it'll be many years before this happens, but I had this notion of getting another ferret so that there would not be 1 left on their own.

So I have a couple of questions...

Is it a good idea to get another, or would it be best to keep them as they are?
    If I do get another, would it be better to get a male or female?
    Or would 3 be a crowd and getting another pair would be better?

Thanks for any advice in advance x

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Firstly, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think being totally unexpected makes it worse.

Regarding the option of adding a third ferret to your group, I'd say it depends totally on the personalities of the ferrets involved. I've had odd numbers at different times (3&5), and not had an issue, but trying to introduce a new ferret into an established group can be an issue, and it can change the dynamic between existing group members. If they are laid back & friendly, you might be fine - I've had new ferrets "gel" very quickly, and some which never really got close, though they did lean to accept eachother.

As for males or females, again it doesn't really matter (as long as they are neutered) - it depends on the personality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice