Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2nd dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissusMayhem, Apr 11, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

We've been seriously considering it for a long time now ....
    it hasn't seemed to right time until now

We've just got the all go for buying our house which we are on the way with
    Odin has been neutered
    He's grown into a lovely boy!
    We feel its good time to add a new baby :D

We need to decide on :
    Puppy or rescue,
    and breed is we decide on puppy

What are your thoughts or rescue links
    Anything ....
    Bring out your advice guys :D

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Suppose it depends on circumstances as to getting pup or rescue, work , time ,etc.

Im i the same predicament when its time for another dog:rolleyes:

Good luck tho:D

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive had 5 rescues and one pup brought from a breeder, In fact the last one was a 12 week pup from the RSPCA. Ive only had one male at a time and up to 3 girls. Although introducing same sex obviously can be OK, personally I have found opposite sexes you dont get any probs with, if any ones squabbled its always the girls. So same sexes can be that bit more work or so Ive found. Main thing is the dogs compliment each other in personalitiy and
    temperament at the end of the day.

Every breed has its own rescue usually with dogs of various ages, although you might not get a really young pup of a few weeks, but it has been known both in breed rescues and dogs homes so you might be lucky.

There is two ways to go about it really, Decide on a short list of breeds and do your research to see if the general character, exercise requirements etc will fit in with your life style and odin, then when you have decided either look whats available in rescues, or if you want a really young pup research breeders.

Or just keep and open mind and visit a few rescues and see what takes your fancy out of whats available and find the dog that suits that way. Most have websites now so you can check what dogs they have available that way, most give details about the dog on the web sites too. If you get one from a rescue its going to be vet checked, vaccinated, wormed,de fleaed, possibly micro chipped and if old enough spayed or neutered. Even if its too young the RSPCA I think still give you a neutering voucher maybe others do or the national ones. They are going to be assessed and temperament tested too.

4. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

As the saying goes..."Ten good reasons to rescue were killed in a pound near you today"

IMO a reputable rescue provides the ideal source bar none - what you see is what you get. No questions about what temperament the dog may develop, no questions about what early onset health issues the dog may suffer, the size, conformation and, often, even basic training is right there to be seen and approved.

You want a terrier but you want one that is 'worky' - an assessed adult rescue is the clearest bet you could get. Not even the best breeder can look at a litter and pick out the best workers from the rest. Or maybe you want a terrier that defintiely isn't 'worky' and is more pet life orientated - again the assesed adult rescue is the perfect answer. Want a shepherd but not too guardy, or a grey that wont chase small dogs, or a staff that can live with cats? A reputable rescue has the perfect dog.

I'd start window shopping here:

Dogs for Adoption & Rescue - DogsBlog.com

5. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

my only issue is our first dog was rescue
    "shes a lovely friendly, family dog" who bit my face leaving me with stitches :(
    so it worries me about getting another
    although i haven't written it off completely :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice