UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, at the moment I have just 1 dog. My little Lucky :D

I am thinking about getting a 2nd in the future, hopefully a Lancashire heeler or Manchester Terrier.
We are planning on moving abroad in 4 years. I was hoping to have my 2nd dog in about 2 years.
Do you think its more sensible to wait until after our move or just work it around taking 2 dogs instead of 1. We will have the finances to take 2 but I'm worried that taking 2 will be more complicated.

I know its a long way off but I always like to plan ahead and be really sure before I make such a big decision.

Opinions needed please :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could you deal with the move if you have two dogs running around?

You could organise for them to stay in a kennels or friends house whilst you sort your self out, so I don't see why you couldn't get the new one before.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm really glad we had two when we moved abroad (and back!) with ours.

I think it helps make the journey less stressful for them if they're not completely on their own throughout it.

I don't know where you're planning on moving but we went from the UK to Canada, had a move within Canada and then moved back to the UK in the space of a year. It was a hell of an upheaval for the dogs and I think one of the reasons they dealt with it so well was the fact that they had each other during all the kennel time and transfers.

As far as complexity having two was no worse than having one, once we'd worked out what paperwork we had to do for one we just had to replicate it. We used a pet moving firm as well which, although pricier than doing it all ourselves, made everything so much easier.

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Personally, I would go ahead with the 2nd dog :) as long as you have the finances in place to transport 2 dogs abroad then I think you will be better off getting the 2nd dog before moving.

Also, if you did leave it until you moved abroad to get dog number 2, would you look to import one from the UK? Both those breeds are difficult enough to come by in the UK, i'd imagine there would be far less still abroad. If you are gonna import the dog from the UK to your new country, you've then gotta think about the extra costs and effects it will have on the dog to have him/her sent over to you. Personally I agree with the others, you'd be better off getting dog number 2 before moving :D

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think I will be getting doggy number 2 before our move and the lancashire heeler is first choice so far :)
I agree that the transition will be easier on lucky if she has company.

@Weedy sea dragon; Canada or North America is where we are planning on moving to. I have 3 years in uni starting in March, then we hope to be on our way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.