24 litre tank

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Sophie87, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Sophie87

Sophie87 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I’ve just bought a 24l tank, set up and ready to go. I’m looking to get a couple of fan tail goldfish and just need advice on how many can comfortably live in that volume.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. I am sorry to tell you that goldfish are too big to live in a tank that size. In fact most fish are. 20 litres is a tiny volume and best for some shrimp or at push some tiny micro rasboras.

Gold fish are messy fish that produce a lot of waste. They grow very quickly and if looked after properly will grow to the size of cricket balls in a year or two. In order to keep goldfish happy they need plenty of filtration and enough water volume to dilute the waste. Personally I would recommend a 200 litre tank for two but with external filters. Bigger if possible. Single tail goldfish do best in ponds and grow up to a foot long and can live for 20 plus years.

Also if you want to get fish please research fishless cycling before you buy them. Do not believe the pet shop that says you can add fish after 5 days. Thus is outdated and incorrect advice and will lead to your fish dying from ammonia poisoning very quickly.

Also research the nitrogen cycle and new tank syndrome.

FeelTheBern, magpie and NaomiM like this.
  3. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that tank is far too small for any goldfish. You need at least 100L, many would say more.

Add a heater and the tank would be fine for a betta :)

Edit - cross posted with kittih :)

FeelTheBern, magpie and kittih like this.
  4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Just for emphasis... this is one of my 10 month old fancy goldfish. He's nearly 6 inches nose to tail :)

[​IMG]

kittih and NaomiM like this.