Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 yr old Boxer still has accidents in cage

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jasonbaker, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jasonbaker

jasonbaker PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I have a 2 year old female boxer (Rory) who still has accidents in her cage (#1 and #2). During the week, she is usually home alone kenneled for 9-10hr at a time while my wife and I are at work. On average, Rory has an accident in her cage 2-3 times a week. In the morning, I make sure she does all of her business outside before I leave the house. I feed her 2.5 cups of food per day and she weighs roughly 50lb (small boxer!!!)

Has anyone else faced this issue? Any tips or suggestions on how I should tackle this? Thanks!

Here's a picture of Rory :)
    IMG_1169.JPG

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did I read correctly that she is in a crate for 9 to 10 hours a day? Every day?
    Or are there breaks in between?

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. jasonbaker

Not everyday, but we crate her whenever we are both not home. On days we both work (typically Monday-Friday) she will be crated 9-10hr consecutively with no breaks.

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Think you've answered your own question here. Someone needs to come in at lunchtime to let her out for a leg stretch and toilet.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That's really excessive.
    Are you able to not go to the bathroom for 9 to 10 hours during the day?
    Plus a crate doesn't really give her much room to move, stretch etc.
    You really need to make better arrangements, either hire a dog walker, or one of you needs to come home during a lunch break...
    I would also look in to not leaving her in the crate that whole time. Can she be in a dog-safe room?

Torin., Bugsys grandma, margy and 2 others like this.
  6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Dear God, how would you like to be stuck in one room all day alone with no breaks in between for one day let alone the last 2 years. Could you serivously hold yourself for 9 to 10 hours I know I couldn't! Words fail me, I'm sorry but your dog need to be able to get out and about during the day, if you seriously can not have someone come in and walk the poor thing during the day & give her toilet breaks then I am amazed she had only just started toileting in her cage.
    She may well have a nasty kidney infection from holding herself for so long every day. Get her checked out by the vet and get her a dog walker on the days she has to be left & at the very least invest in a large play pen rather than a cage!.

7. jasonbaker

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll start looking into dog walkers.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Does she even need to be crated at all? Where is she at night time?

Does she have access to water during that time?

A safe room with space to move around, stretch etc. would be much better for her and as has been said, 8-10 hours restricted alone in this way really isn’t on imo.

9. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Is she crated 8hrs per night too?
    If so, that's 17/18hrs out of 24 in a crate!
    How on earth is that poor girl not going mad with boredom and frustration

Bugsys grandma and margy like this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello she is a beautiful girl. I have two male boxers and sadly lost my female last year. They need to go out regularly the longest I leave them is four hours maximum I don't crate they have the run of the house. Can you get a walker ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Are you genuinely surprised that she's having accidents in her crate. That is an awfully long time for her to be left alone, never mind confined to a crate.
    I absolutely get that people have to work, but , Please do seriously look into getting a dog walker to pop in during the day to break up the day for her, give her a bit of company, cos she must be seriously lonely being alone all that time, and allow her to stretch her legs and go to the toilet.
    It might be a good idea, since she's being left for so long, to get her a pen, rather than a crate. She will have more room to move about and get herself comfy. A pen won't replace the need for a dog walker though.
    She looks like a beautiful girl, she deserves better than being left in a crate for so long, I'm sure you love her to bits and want what's best for her, and as I say, I do get that you have to work , but please re think your arrangements for leaving her during your working day.

12. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

I agree with everyone’s statements above. I feel bad for my daughters hamster being kept in a very large cage most of the day! A neighbour used to do this with their cocker spaniel and couldn’t afford a dog walker. Luckily I offered to take her out during the day and don’t charge as it’s nice for me too. Dog walkers can be expensive and if this is putting you off getting appropriate care for your beautiful looking dog perhaps look into the borrow my doggy scheme? Basically the dog would still be yours but someone else who perhaps cannot commit to a dog full time can care for and enjoy your dog on a regular basis. It really can be the best of both worlds for everyone! Good luck.

13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I used to have a hamster who was a right escape artist he used to get out at night and potter around the house.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  14. Huds

Huds PetForums Junior

I’d love to let the hamster potter around at night too but I think my cat would love it more!

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Think the OP has made their decision and hasn’t been back since posting this.

DaisyBluebell, margy and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice