Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 years on and cats still don't get on

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by susan_1981, Nov 17, 2020.

1. susan_1981

susan_1981 PetForums Member

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can try and get my cats to get along?

I've had Poppy since she was a kitten, we also had her sister but she died about a year ago. My brother was moving abroad and wanted to rehome his cat (Molly), so we took her in. His cat had shared his house with a dog and another cat and had got on well with them both. So both Poppy and Molly have been used to sharing a house with other animals.

When we took my brother's cat in, we could see that both Poppy and her were fighting for top cat, or at least that's what it appeared. We did introduce them slowly and kept them separate most of the time and tried to gradually ease them into getting to know each other. From what I can see, it's like Poppy has let Molly have top cat title, but it's been 2 years now and they still can't stand each other.

The thing is that Poppy is getting old now, she's 15, and the other cat is probably about 10. They can be in a room together and not fight, but it's always Molly who instigates it when they do.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can help them get along? I've tried plug ins, I've tried sprays, but they've not worked. They eat in separate areas, they sleep in different areas. They're not fighting for either mine or my husband's attention. Or do I just accept that they will never get along? I mean I feel like I've accepted this already, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips that I might not have already tried?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I think acceptance is the way forward. As they can be in a room together without fighting, and have plenty of places to eat & sleep, the only other thing I'd make sure of is that they have at least 2 litter trays in different places. It's hard for elderly cats (& people) to accept new cats (& people) living with them. They have a nice settled life and suddenly someone else is around all the time.

It's easy to be wise after the event, but a home for Molly as an only cat might have been better. But to rehome her now would be an utter last resort, and it doesn't sound like you are in that position.

3. susan_1981

susan_1981 PetForums Member

We couldn't re home her now, she's one of the family. I mean in the main, they just stay away from each other, it's just when they do come together, it generally ends up in a fight or Poppy being chased away by Molly. During the day, it's mostly fine because Molly tends to prefer being upstairs and Poppy just tends to want to be wherever I am. We have 2 litter trays, but they barely ever use them, they tend to go outside as we have a cat flap, and I regularly change the litter.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@susan_1981 - two of my cats have a history of not getting along. I re-homed one of them 7 yrs ago after months of trying to integrate him but his adoptive owner became seriously ill with terminal cancer shortly after adopting him and asked me to take him back. So I did, intending to re-home him again. I did try to find him another adopter but my heart just wasn't in it, giving him away a second time. So he stayed with me.

The way it has worked successfully in my house is that one boy lives upstairs and one lives downstairs,. I installed a dividing door at the top of the stairs. Both cats have access to the outdoors, but are only allowed out one at a time, [when the other one is safely shut indoors]. So the two boys never meet face to face, though they see each other through the window.

It may not be the best scenario for living with cats, but peace reigns in the house, and for me that is success. :)

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice