Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 year old male terrier humping

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cazbah, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

My 2 year old male JRT as started trying to hump me.
    He hasn't got as far as humping yet but keeps grabbing me with his front legs and getting stroppy- I have tried distraction, being firm, time out in his soft crate, the latest which worked was to play a bleepy ringtone which he hates so he has gone off sulking in his bed. I am not sure if this is the right way to deal with it.
    Maybe there is a bitch on heat somewhere.
    Any ideas what I can do?

2. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

bumping up in the hope someone might have an idea?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has it just started out of the blue? If it has it could be that you have got a bitch in heat nearby or there is one being walked and leaving the scent in its pee, some male dogs really get themselves in a state about it.

Really the more attention he gets for it the more rewarding it will become. I would interrupt him with an Ahh Ahh as soon as you see him go to try it to interrupt the b ehaviour and either get him to do a few things in return for a treat like a few commands to distract him, or say and do nothing except exclude him every time he goes to do it. if he doesn't get any rewards, or has to offer an alternative behaviour instead then that should hopefully cure it. Hopefully it is just a bitch in season somewhere that's sent him a bit off his trolley.:D

4. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

Yes very suddenly this week, he is very determined but if I play a bleep on my phone he goes straight in his bed so I can get him off me easy I just feel guilty scaring him.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Maybe have a go at the suggestions and see if it does help.

6. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

A sudden change of behaviour in a two year old dog really needs a visit to the vet before you try anything else. You haven't mentioned if he's castrated or not?

7. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

No not castrated, we did take him to have the chemical injection when he was one as we were having a few issues with our other uncastrated male dog aged 7 but when vet quizzed us he felt they would sort it out and he was right.

They both live together happily.

Will consider calling the vet if it continues, he seems totally normal in every ther way.

8. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Then it might be something like a bitch in season is 'in the air' and getting him going. I'm happy to tell my dogs off if they get frisky, but if you don't want to scare your dog can you leave a short lead on him, and when he starts just move him away into his bed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice