Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2-year-old cat's back legs not working, wobbling and weeing lots. Advice or experience?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by HearMeRoar, Jan 21, 2019.

1. HearMeRoar

HearMeRoar PetForums Newbie

Hello all, so first I will give a bit of background about my cat, when the problem started, and any vet visits. If you have any experience with this or advice, it would be great. We probably will take him back to the vets soon but I just want to talk to some other people about cats right now...

So first about my cat: He is two-years old, he has an undershot jaw and cleft palette. We rescued him from the ISPCA in Ireland as he was found in a barn FULL of cats, who just kept breeding - so he is a bit inbred. We've never had health problems with him before, he's always been a tad bit wobbly but never too bad. He's also never truly acted like a cat.

In November, he started crying when he was going to pee, stopped using the cat litter and there was blood in it. The vet found no traces of a UTI but they did find E-coli in his system, which they have since tested for and it has all gone. Since he finished the medication, he became incredibly wobbly on his back legs. He tries to walk one way and he ends up going the other. He falls over quite often and he can no longer jump onto high surfaces.

We took him to the vets again and she said she could find nothing wrong but the back of his brain may not have formed properly. These past weeks, things seem to be getting bad... He has good days and bad days. He is on dementia trial medicine as she thinks it may help his nervous system or something.

Basically, throughout the evening, he may cry throughout the house, pee in random places (quite a lot of pee) and wobbles and falls everywhere. Today, we have picked him up a few times and he's cried out. This cat has NEVER hissed in his life but today, when touching the base of his tail, he hissed. He cries too when you touch it. His back looks sloped and one of his back legs just seems to not be working. He also has a slight shake to his head all of a sudden, like a shiver or a tremor when he is sat up. This started today.

He is eating fine, actually eating quite often. He drinks fine. He pees lots, just not in the cat litter, and he sleeps and plays like normal. His eyes are bright. He's not sleeping more than usual and he still purrs and is affectionate. He is still washing himself, washing his sister and everything.

Obviously he will go to the vets again but I was just wondering if anybody has any advice or any experience with this? It would be great to find someone with a cat similar so I can maybe understand more whilst we wait till pay day (in a couple of days) to take him to our vet.

2. HearMeRoar

Forgot to say, he is an indoor cat. On wet and dry food. He's walked a bit lately (after the crying) and seems okay, still wobbling but no pain or crying. I've touched the area and he also hasn't cried out or anything.

3. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Vet now, not ‘probably’!

kittih and buffie like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Poor cat he needs to see a vet ASAP

chillminx likes this.
  5. HappyKitty

HappyKitty PetForums Member

If he were mine, I'd try and get an appointment tonight.

6. HappyKitty

I'd say hissing and crying are signs of being in pain or extremely stressed. Could be neurological, an injury or a problem in the bladder area.

HearMeRoar likes this.
  7. HearMeRoar

Called the vet, they are not incredibly concerned as his tests for kidney disease, etc are extremely recent (their words, not mine), they've also tested his wobbly, weak back legs before. They've booked him in for Wednesday afternoon but I think we're going to look into another vet as this one clearly has no idea what it is.

I have really bad anxiety problems and waiting that long is gonna have me so worried, especially if he cries out again like that, does anyone have experience with this or have any idea what it could be?

He woke up about half an hour ago and he's chattering about the place (he's quite vocal, he likes to talk... fortunately, no cries of what I would say are him in pain but what would I know...) but he's walking fine and playing so that's something. He is leaning badly on one of the back legs and his tail is very low so I think somethings wrong there. I just wanna know what's wrong with the sweet little boy.. He's my dad's little angel. Sometimes being a cat owner is so painful and worrying :(

8. HearMeRoar

If I can, I'll get a few pictures or videos later, if they upload. I'm not the best with technology.

Should say, I called the vet only a little while after posting my first post and I apologise for the 'probably'. I do not want to come across as an irresponsible cat owner. My cats are my babies and I'd do anything for them and after my post, I did think I should be just calling the vet.

9. HappyKitty

I'm sure your not irresponsible and I totally understand you've come on here for support and suggestions (which is exactly which we're all here for). What did the vet say?

10. HappyKitty

Hope appointment goes ok. Personally I'd want them to take an x-ray to rule out s fracture/other internal trauma - even if they insist everything is ok on Wed. Hopefully others can give you other pointers.

11. HearMeRoar

Hey sorry I didn't reply! On the phone, the vet said that it was most likely still his neurological issues, that she had said last time but she wants to check him for any injuries. The appointment is Wednesday afternoon - which to me, seems really far away and I said that but she said as long as he is not yowling or crying out or anything he should be okay - skeptical but I have been on the phone with her again with an update.

Last night, he was his normal self - wobbly and weeing everywhere but he was playing, he wasn't crying when we picked him up, we gave him a little massage on his legs and everything and he seemed fine. He's been bright as a button since. This morning, he's been able to jump like normal. He's having a hard time settling but he does usually. The vet has since said that he may be possibly bruised or yesterday he could have had a bit of shock if he had fallen anywhere. We have to monitor him very closely today (and watch the amount he urinates) and if anything changes, phone again. Queue me wandering around checking up on him all the time! ha.

Hopefully we get some answers tomorrow and if we don't, I'll be trying another vet as well (and demanding an x-ray if we're not given one) - I'd rather more opinions. Fortunately the student loan is in so we can easily cover it :)

Thanks for your kind follow up message.

12. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Let us know how you get on but it does sound like you have your cats best interest at heart.

13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@HearMeRoar How is your cat doing now , how did the vet visit go ?

14. HearMeRoar

Hey guys, it's been a while.

The vet found nothing - they think he has CH as part of his brain may not be formed properly. He is okay, still wobbling around and peeing a lot but he's had all the tests, x rays, scans and nothing was found.

HOWEVER,

He had been struggling to poo quite a lot and this morning he did a few pebbles and then 5 minutes later, he vomited up a toy! He had eaten a soft toy! It was quite big and covered in bile. I though his stomach had looked swollen but nothing had come up on the scan, which is weird. Phoning the vet today and doing the monitoring thing of if he vomits again, etc but he seems content.

Cannot believe the little guy ate it! It was a little soft swan with a long feather tail!

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Lord!! No wonder he was feeling ''off''! He will hopefully feel better after getting rid of that; as you say, weird that it didn't show up??

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this! It was lucky it didn't cause an intestinal blockage needing surgery! :(

It was very possibly the feather that attracted him to eat it (cats eat some of the smaller feathers of a bird when they catch one as prey, it is good roughage for them).

It is advisable never to leave any toy with feathers on lying around. I won't even have toys with feathers on in the house, other than the interactive rod toys like Purrsuit, which are always without fail put away in a cupboard the very instant I finish playing with them with my cats.

17. HearMeRoar

Thanks guys, we are extremely fortunate that it hadn't been serious because we would have never known.. it was such a shock walking into the room to find a pool of vomit and that toy! We don't know how on earth he swallowed it but we are so thankful he got it up. We think it's been there weeks, possibly even a month but we don't know how...

He's being peeing a lot today but has been curled up sleeping for a while, hopefully will be a bit brighter later. We are still monitoring him.

Its quite sad because he loves feathers. Anything with feathers have always been his favourite toy. He loves washing them but that's clearly how he swallowed this so everything has been thrown away. We have the dangling toys that we play with him so will make sure to put it away after playing! He loves the sound of crinkling so maybe we will change his toys to lots of crinkling ones that are safe!

Gallifreyangirl and chillminx like this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well done @HearMeRoar, better safe than sorry with the toys. ;)

My cats love the cat nip Yeoowww toys, such as the banana, the apple and the fish. Amazon sells them. They are very safe for them to play with on their own.

I hope he feels better soon. x

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice