Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 Year old cat, moving house and a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Purr, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Purr

Purr PetForums Newbie

Hi

I'm aware that this probably isn't the best of plans but I'm due to move house soon with my 2 yr old cat (half Ragdoll, half Birman) which won't please him anyway and have kept him in for the last 2 weeks in preparation and now I have found another kitten, which I have fallen in love with (half Ragdoll, half moggy) who is very brave and playful (I've not bought the new kitten yet). Is it a good idea to introduce them into the house at the same time, completely new territory to both? Do I keep them separate in different rooms and gradually introduce scents etc to each other?

My 2 yr old was quite grumpy with other cats that roamed into our current garden and would growl and hiss etc but next doors new kitten has recently started visiting and he's very plucky and my cat didn't react the same way he had done to adult cats and was very inquisitive and almost playful. Is this a good sign?

Any help would be grateful

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The fact you are moving house and your new home/garden will be entirely new territory for your present cat as well as the kitten, will be a huge help in getting your cat to accept the kitten. I might even go as far as to say you will possibly have almost no problems integrating the 2 cats.

It is important both cat and kitten arrive at the new home at the same time, certainly within hours of each other, as whoever gets there first will have the advantage. So, if timing would be difficult to organise logistically, as a practical solution you could get the kitten the week before, but keep him completely separate from your cat whilst they are in the old house, i.e. prevent your cat from seeing or hearing the kitten or smelling his scent. (Not easy, I appreciate:))

However it is worth bearing in mind that you (and all members of your household) are also regarded by your cat as being part of *his territory*, and your present cat may not be willing at first to share you with the kitten.
    So introductions will need to be supervised, there should be scent swapping etc and both cats should have their own safe places to go on in the house away from each other, until you are 100% certain the kitten is safe left with your cat.

I would not keep the kitten isolated for a few days (as would be recommended when bringing in a new kitten or cat in to established territory), but would let the cat and the kitten meet on day 1 in the new house, so both of them have an (almost) equal right to claim territory in the new house.

Here is a good website, with useful advice, some of which will be relevant to your situation, some which will not:

Integrating Kittens with Cats

As you say, the fact that your cat has seemed OK with a neighbour's new kitten could be a positive sign that he will take to your new kitty quickly!

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes?

I hope the house move goes smoothly.:)

3. Purr

Purr PetForums Newbie

I move on Saturday and can pick up the kitten on the same day. So I could introduce them on the same day?
    Before introducing should I share the kitten's scent shortly before doing the introductions or just bring him in and let him out?

Thank you for your reply!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If it were me I would introduce them to each other on the first day. I don't think there would be any advantage to scent swapping first before they have met, but I would start scent swapping as soon as they meet by stroking one cat and then the other, so everyone's scent is all mixed up, and is on all of you.

Don't leave the kitten and cat together unsupervised, and if there any sign of active aggression from your cat towards the kitten and you fear your cat may
    attack the kitten, remove the kitten immediately to a safe room.

Remember it is a lot of stress for them both to deal with - a new environment, new scents, and then meeting each other, so this is why I would give them limited periods of time together at first, but confirm I would definitely start this straight away.

Incidentally your older cat may be helped to cope with the changes by a course of Zylkene, a supplement which calms anxious cats. It is available on line or from vets - capsules which you open and mix the powder with food.

Zylkene Capsules - Priced Per Tablet - 75mg - Animed Direct

Also, some Feliway plug-in diffusers in all areas where either cat will go, could be helpful in providing a calming environment for them both. (Feliway can be bought from Amazon, ebay etc)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice