Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 week old mice soaking wet? :(

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by annir9, Jan 6, 2012.

1. annir9

annir9 PetForums Junior

mummy mouse keeps wetting them. literally they are drenched.. i clean her area (food and water) every morning. check on them every night. Last night i checked on them before bed, All there bedding was wet and the 12 mice were soaked threw bundled ontop of each other freezing. (i honestly thought some where dead)

I paniced cleaned the whole cage and put them on clean bedding. Woke up this morning and she has done the same again.

she is still feeding them so i no she is not rejecting them :( i dont no what to do. im so scared there gunna die. mummy mouse is always trying to jump out of the cage. she keeps hitting her head on the top :/ has she gone mad?

thankyou

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

How is she soaking the bedding? What bedding are you using? Do you use a water bottle or bowl?

3. Crittery

Crittery PetForums Member

How are you offering them water? is it that she upturning a bowl, or maybe there is a problem with the water bottle?

I think we could do with a bit more information before we can tell what the problem is - what cage are your mice in that she can jump to the top of it? I'm guessing she might be quite young herself - was this an intentional breeding, or have you had a pet-shop missexing?

I wouldn't keep cleaning out when she has babies, that may be upsetting her especially if she isn't used to you or is quite a young mouse herself. I'd look into her water source as if you've got a bowl you'll need to swop for a bottle anyway as bowls could be quite dangerous for the little ones once they start moving around.

4. annir9

annir9 PetForums Junior

She has a bowl, but no water is out of that bowl so shes not tipping it. plus its a very solid bowl. not filled too much.
    I have bought a water bottle today so seeing how she goes with that.
    They dont smell as tho she has weed on them. they are all in a habitrail cage. (the big ones)

I was told they were both male when i recieved them..until 3 days before xmas day i relised she was pregnant. thankfully enough time to seperate from the male. She gave birth to all 12 of them xmas day.
    i am so proud of her she seemed to be doing very well until last night :S ... i have been handling them everyday since last thursday, she comes to me for cuddles and licks my hands etc still.

There are only on like white soft bedding (from wilkos) im such a newbie. i read that would be ok. aslong as there comfortable.

thankyou all for your help

5. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Is any of the bedding dangling in the bowl and soaking up the water or are they nesting in a plastic house which is getting condensated?

#5 AnnB, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

What habitrail cage is it that they are in? Just wondering if it may be a build up of condensation causing the issue, in which case you would need to look at perhaps changing their cage to something more suitable. If you have a bed in there and they are using that, it ould be the same thing (condensation) as I found that some of the beds are prone to condensation when the mice are curled up sleeping. I would definitely recommend changing to a water bottle though, with baby mice who will soon be pinging around they could ping in to the bowl and end up wet. Definitely check what AnnB suggested, even one piece of bedding in the bowl will lead to it being soaked up.

Edit: there was a post about something similar on another forum not that long ago, with babies of the same age. It turned out to be diarrohoea (sp.!) caused by too much fresh produce (vegetables and fruit.) Are you feeding anything like that or have you noticed any loose droppings from the babies?

#6 zany_toon, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. annir9

annir9 PetForums Junior

Thankyou all for your help, woke up this morning and the babies seem fine so hopefully it was the water bottle that has helped.

I feel so awful now as its my fault the poor babies where so wet :(

Mummy mouse seems to still try get out of the cage. Going to try giving her extra attention :) See if it helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice