Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 retrievers guarding

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sue&harvey, Nov 4, 2019.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi all,
    Long time no post! I still have my hairy loons but this is about my best friend and her partners dogs.
    They are both intact labs who are a similar age.

If they are on their own with her male partner in the house, or crated together away from her they are fine together. As soon as she is near they go for each other.

I understand she is the resource but the other dog is so on edge all the time! They have a starring competition then off they go. They don't actually harm and usually her dog shakes first to call end of play. It's getting worse as time progresses

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

You say intact but are they both males or females? How long have they been living together and at what age did this behaviour start? Do you know if they've done any training with them because if they going into staring at each other mode a quick "lie down now" could well diffuse the situation.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say they must be crated separately at least - or one in, one out - before it goes horribly wrong.

One or both must feel extremely anxious when the female owner appears :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice