Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 pups

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Waynegriff86, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Waynegriff86

Waynegriff86 PetForums Newbie

We have 2 puppies. One at 11 weeks and one at 4 months both french bulldogs.
    Always wanted 2 together so thought we would get 2 pups. They are on each other all the time. Both no there names quite well and when there separate the respond to there names we'll. When together and on top of each other that goes out of window they don't listen at all expecially in the living room. Kitchen and garden they do better. Why is this does anyone no? Thanks

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Most would advise against having 2 puppies at the same time unless you have a lot of time, experience & resources to avoid issues developing, but they are here now so what's done is done.

Although not littermates, you should look up 'littermate syndrome':

https://www.gopetplan.com/blog/posts/littermate-syndrome

3. Waynegriff86

Waynegriff86 PetForums Newbie

Yes I have done alot of research they are from different litters bought around 2 months apart. They just like to be on each other the oldest girl is the dominant one she's bossy. There kept separate most of the time separate rooms fed separately etc

4. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Member

Even if they are not actually from the same litter, litter mate syndrome can still apply to two dogs of a similar age being brought up together. If you read up on it, you should look at whether separate walks and separate training night help, and then also doing them together. It’s often said that two puppies together is three times the work!

5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

What do you actually mean by “on each other”? Playing? Fighting?

6. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Everyone else has mentioned litter mate syndrome so will pass on. Manage their behaviour by separating and start training them. My question to you is what training have you actually done? You state they know their names, but what about other commands and social skills (these are all best being done individually first). Looks like a lot of hard work needed

tabelmabel, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, it is really important that you train and exercise these pups seperately. They need to get out into the world alone and learn how to deal with all the scary things out there without each other to depend on.

Obviously they are still young and there is a massive difference between responding to their names in a distraction free area like a kitchen or bathroom and when tangled up together in the livingroom. Of course they cant listen and attend to you in that situation.

In fact you have done incredibly well to get them to attend to their individual names at all. Do you mean you can sit them side by side and call them individually to you?

That is very good going if so.

I dont think i could call my two individually from a play fight. If i called, they would both come together. And they are 8 and 3 yrs old.

If you mean they respond when they are the only one in the room, then think about it. You have removed all the options. There is a lot of redundancy in language,

The pup doesnt need to know its name or anything. It sees your body language and maybe you even have a treat lure - that is why it comes.

That is good and you can build on that but dont mistake that for the pup knowing its name.

Imagine you are in a country where you dont understand the language at all. You could get by with a few simple things by looking at gesture. Same with your puppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice