Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 or 3 meals a day??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Puppy Love, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

Hi all

Not sure if I should be feeding my Red Setter puppy of 5+1/2 months on 2 meals a day or still 3?? If she has to go down to 2 meals when In the day do you feed them i.e. First thing in the morning and then about 5pm or should it be later - just not sure. I have been told she will let me know herself when she decides not to eat a meal but 1 day she eats me out of house and home then the next day she just does not seem that interested.

I feed her on Royal Canin Junior and have also started to put a small amount of cooked minced beef into her food, Is this ok?? she seems to really love it.

Puppy Love x

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

a bit young to leave mum at 5 1/2 months :)

3. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

Hi,and welcome....:)
    I dont know why Carol said it was a bit young to leave mom at 51/2 months,but my Shepherd was still on 3 meals at that age.

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

at least someone noticed lol
    was messing around

5. AJ

AJ Guest

that spun me out good and proper! :confused:

6 months is about the time you should think about shifting to two meals a day. :)

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Cut her down to 2 meals at 6 months adding a little minced beef is fine BUT be careful not to make her too fussy over her meals - so dont go adding too many nice things for her. She looks lovely from her little photo have you any more updated ones of her and yes your timings are fine it is what suits you really and to be fed at 5 gives her enough time to digest and 'empty' out ready for going to bed!!

7. AJ

AJ Guest

.....depends when you go to bed really! :D

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

true - but we aint all like you LOL

9. Puppy Love

Hello
    When we picked her up from the breeder we where told she had been fed at 7-8am, 3.30ish and then again about 8.30-9pm so we continued to do this. Just was not sure if it was time to go down to 2 meals a day or not. We usually go to bed around 10.30 so Tilly is taken out before then to wee. She has never wet or pooed in her crate and goes all night never making a noise. Should she have some food in with her a night in case she gets hungary, she already has a fresh supply of water in with her.

So many questions..........(this is my first ever dog, so you guys are my valued help line)

Puppy Love x

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

If she is eating all you put down for her then perhaps up her food slightly we only give them a shape biscuit for bed at night - is she clearing her bowl at every feed ??

11. AJ

AJ Guest

Definately don't leave food in with her at night, we don't even leave them with water during the night, they don't need it while they're asleep! :)

Sounds like your doing a good job with her! :)

12. Puppy Love

Yes she will empty her bowl especially now that I am giving her a little cooked minced beef on the top, she was at times before turning her nose up and walking away from her food (don't blame her really, dried food for every meal must be really boring) but now she is happy and keen to eat. I just don't want to be over feeding her - or will that not happen?? Will she just not eat??

Puppy Love x

13. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

They are not on the whole a greedy breed I would up her food slightly now you have cut her down to 2 meals you are really lucky she eats the one we had was a nightmare

14. AJ

AJ Guest

Some dogs will over eat and some will only eat what they need/want. Unless she puts on weight (in a bad way) you're not overfeeding her! Try her with a bit more if she'll have it and just drop the amounts if she starts piling the pounds on! :D

15. Puppy Love

Thanks I won't put any food in with her - because she is on dried food I thought it was important to have water at all times so the body does not use up any needed for the rest of the body ( does that make sense!!!!) We rececntly bought a large stainless steel bowl meant for birds that hangs on the side of her cage so she doesn't spill it.

Thanks for all this advice - you guys are great

Puppy Love x

16. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

You are doing really well with her and asking all the right questions just use your gut instinct with a lot of what you are doing but we are always here if needed - when you have her pedigree to hand would love to know how she is bred!!

17. Puppy Love

Thanks tashi
    Still waiting for the paperwork to come back from the Kennel Club to do with her registration, then I believe we have to change the ownership to our name. The breeder had problems finding a name the Kennel Club would accept because other breeders already had them. Now she is called Hawkdown Heaven Sent.

Puppy Love x

18. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

lovely name and I know what she means about the KC I know do mine on line and it is a little bit easier

19. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

she looks lovely they are such a fantastic breed of dog there should be more of them but for some reason they arnt as popular these days ! I agree with AJ dont leave food with her at night but i used to leave Daisy with water , she would sometimes kick it over but as we fed her on R/C and it being dry i thought best for her to have a drink if needed . At 6 months we put her on 2 meals a day 7am then 5 pm leaving plenty of time to clear her bowles . during the day she would munch on raw carrot as a training treat (no callories to worry about ) My concern adding mince is , her food is complete and a good one at that so you dont need to give extra protien this could give her the runs or make her hypo too much protien can do that to some dogs . It could also lead to her being a fussy eater , If you feel the need to add make sure you take away some dry food to compensate , you dont want her getting porky have her weighed once a month so you can adjust her amounts accordingly .
    Andrea

20. AJ

AJ Guest

Yeah our vets let us go in and just weigh ours on the scales in reception whenever we want, if your vets are willing to let you do that or you have another way its always a good idea to keep an eye on their weight, seeing them everyday you sometimes don't notice the changes. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice