Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 new degus

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by swilson, May 22, 2010.

1. swilson

swilson PetForums Newbie

ive recently bought 2 degus and im finding it difficult for them not to be scared of me! i try to get them and they run soo stopped doing that because i dont want to scare them! does anyone know any techniques? or give me some advice how to make them come to me?
    thanks

2. Wigglewoo

Wigglewoo PetForums Junior

I'd say just give them time to get used to you, instead of going to pick them up straight away how about gaining their trust and get them to eat from your hand? When you have success at that try storking them, and when thats mastered move onto picking them up?!

I've no idea if it's the same for degus but this is how I did it with my guineas!!

xXx

3. forgotten~myth

forgotten~myth PetForums VIP

Leave them alone for two days only putting your hand into the cage to change food.
    Then get them to come near your hand. Treat them for that.
    When they master that try to get them to put their front paws on your hand. Treat them.
    When they master THAT get them to sit on your hand.
    After a while lift your hand slightly until they are used to being picked up.

Hope it helps!

4. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Hello :D
    Ive had my 2 since October. for the first month i let them know i was the one who fed them, by shaking the food bowl to let them hear it was feeding time. They soon knew it was me coming then i put my hand in there cage with a treat in between my fingers and slowly, now and again one would come and take the treat off me. Now one of my degus (Gooey) will hop on to my hand when i give him a treat :D Im not at the stage of picking him up but i am working towards him not jumping off my hand lol hes doing well so far and lets me stroke inbetween his ears now :D x

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

FM has worked miracles and is chuffed to bits with Jasper and Emmett's progress. We've had them for 2 days now and they have begun to trust her already. Last night they sniffed her hand and put their feet on her hand. :thumbup:

6. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

thats fab!!!

congrats on new additions hun :D

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Thanks - I've put some piccies up on general chat :thumbup:

8. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

OOH will look!!

Sorry...i Have no experience with degus!! Good luck!! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice