Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 new BSH kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Jun 4, 2010.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Hi

Just signed up to the forum and thought would say hello. I have had my 2 kittens for almost a week now. I have only ever owned dogs and then only as family pets (so my parents did all the work!). So 2 kittens on my own has been a steep learning curve!

The most dramatic day was when they discovered the fireplace/chimney. I had to drag each of them out of the chimney more than once and in the end had to lock them in the bedroom for a couple of days until i found a handyman to install a grill to stop them. Hands are covered in scratches from dragging them out the chimney :eek: But now that is behind us they are settling in really well.

My main newbie question is whether i should clip their claws :confused: they never sit still long enough and i am afraid of hurting them. But the boys claws are getting big and they are indoor cats so i guess they wont get naturally worn down as much.

PS apologies if the signature doesnt work - havent quite figured it out!

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the pf!

You need to use the pseudo - html for the sig! :thumbup:

We also have cheap chimney sweeps - my whitish cat - not my two black cats, oh no, that would be too easy - loves to go up the chimney! We have got a chimney balloon in there now.

Yup, I would cut the claws. Could you get your oh/friend or family member to hold the cat while you clip? Just be careful not to cut into the quick (where it become pink), so only do the tips.

Oh, and reward with a treat when you are done!

#2 hobbs2004, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello and welcome, yes i would get someone to help you clip them, by holding them for you. and as said dont clip to much off, have you got some scratch posts, saves them using the settee or anything else that you may not want them to use. look forward to hearing all about them and seeing pictures.:)

4. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks

Will wait until the boyfriend visits to give them their pedicures! I got a bit carried away so they are in no short supply of scratching posts, toys, etc! The problem is that Freya hasnt worked out that it hurts when she scratches - the boy is much more gentle

Pictures on the way soon - I really want a pic of them together. Humphrey is HUGE - you wouldnt believe they were littermates

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I love BSH cats! I'm getting my little guy in 3 weeks....can't wait!!:thumbup:

6. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Pictures attached :)

Attached Files:

7. mini cactus

mini cactus PetForums Junior

welcome beautiful kitties!

:thumbup:

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

They are gorgeous :thumbup:

You might find it easier to clip their claws while they're asleep... managed to get Harley to sleep on his back on my lap them clipped them that way.. no hissing or anything :D

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new BSH Kitties. They are beautiful.
    Only take the tips off the claws. You can by special claw cutters which are easier to use.
    When you take them to the vets you can ask them to trim the claws. I have done this in the past.

10. lestroischats

lestroischats PetForums Member

What an adorable pair! I have to say, I don't find it a chore clipping my kitties' claws. I just wait until they're relaxed and sleepy on my lap and then start massaging their feet so they get used to having them held (they seem to like this). Then I let them play with the clipper so they can see what it is, and then just clip a few of their claws at a time until they start wriggling. They're usually pretty fine with it. They only get cross if someone tries to help them down, so long as I don't make a big deal of it they quite like it. And I *really* like it, because until I realised that it was OK to clip them my first kitten was regularly drawing blood everywhere (inluding a giant welt on my face where she caught me by accident) and I was starting to think I'd have to go to sleep in oven mitts!!

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh my how cute they are, im sooooooo jealous, i really want another kitty, dizzy is two and Smokey is 16 months, so i think i really do need a new little kitty baby,:thumbup:
    Good luck with them they are going to be lots of fun for you, beautiful colours,:D

12. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

awwwww what beautiful kitties you have :) with regards to cutting thier claws i would def wait until they are all sleepy and relaxed and as others have said only take the tips of. my 2 are well easy to do oakley is easier than dillon as we got oakley alot younger and right from the begining we started looking in his mouth and checking his teeth touching his feet and getting his claws out so he got used to it. we just wait till he is cuddled up with us all sleepy :)

13. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone :)

I managed it on my own in the end - just waited until they slept. I am really glad it worked - the little girl can do a lot of damage when she wants! They really do not mind being manhandled, poked and prodded - they just hate having to sit still!

First vet visit was today - they were not very impressed and cried all the way home on the bus :( but now they are fast asleep so clearly they are coping

14. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

awwwww bless em i really hate it when i hear a cat crying it was like when i moved house few weeks ago my OH took oakley in his car and i took dillon in mine and he cried all the way here. there was nothing i could do to stop him crying but most of the way i was poking one hand thru the carrier whilst driving and it seemed to sooth him a bit. i felt so mean my heart really went out to him.

15. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

They just hated the bus even though is less than 10 minutes. They were quite happy being carried but my arms are not strong enough for the whole journey!

I actually didnt mind the crying so much (at least you know in the long run you are saving them much more anguish) but the other people on the bus kept staring :blushing:

god knows what a fuss they will make when they get neutered :eek:

16. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

AWWWW what lovely kittys, i was a new kitty BSH owner this time last year so know what you are going through, i had always had dogs and when we got Harley we had to cat proof the house!!lol
    Its much easier to clip their the nails when they are all sleepy lol
    I was so much in love with our BSH we went out and brought him a pall one month later lol, who is a raggie and they love each other, my daughter who is still at home and is 21 said she will never be without a cat now!!!and she was not that keen on cats!!! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice