Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 meals to 1...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kenla210, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

When is the right time to go from two meals a day to one?

Daisy often doesn't touch her breakfast but will sometimes go back and have a bit at about lunchtime. But she is always STARVING in the evening...

Do you think it would be better to just feed her a bigger dinner in the evening? :confused:

Currently she has Arden grange dry puppy/junior in the morning, then natures menu tinned in the evening (although if she hasn't eaten all her kibble then I don't give the wet). She is 11 months old. When I get through my stash of food I will be changing her over to arden grange adult, and possibly from natures menu to arden grange tinned (looks to be a similar quality but is a touch cheaper).

And just in case DT sees this thread, nature diet doesn't agree with her LOL ;) :D

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Personaly Ive never fed my dogs 1 meal a day, I find they are better with a small breakfast meal then a meal at tea time ie just cut the amount they have in to two meals.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I agree. Just because dogs can manage on one meal a day doesn't mean they feel comfortable with it. Imagine how you would feel if you were only allowed to eat one huge meal a day! Imagine the disruption to the digestive system of going from 'off' to 'full on'!

I feed morning 9am, evening 7.30 and a few kibbles for a bedtime snack about 1am. My dog is healthy, happy and well behaved, and is the right weight.

4. kenla210

I know what you are saying and always figured I would stick to 2 for those reasons but she barely eats one mouthful till about 6pm anyway so I'm just wondering if it's worth persevering as I know many people just feed once a day. I've got a new puppy coming soon and I can just see him troughing his and her food and becoming a right porker whilst she faffs about with it all... :rolleyes:

5. rona

rona Guest

Try feeding wet in the morning, I bet she eats her breakfast then and leaves her supper

6. kenla210

tried your suggestion rona, and yes she has scarfed her breakfast... Little cowbag:rolleyes:

Will give her the dry tonight, but I reckon you are right and she will leave it.

Maybe tomorrow I will mix both meals half and half and see how that goes... I still def want to persevere with kibble as it is much more cost effective - credit crunch and all that! :D

7. rona

rona Guest

If she won't eat kibble, have you thought about one meal being Chappie? it's quite cheap

8. kenla210

yes maybe worth a try - still got 1/2 a 15kg bag of dry at the moment though so will see if mixing it up helps first. She did this with jwb - just stopped eating it, again about halfway through the bag. Nothing I did persuaded her otherwise. When I switched her to AG she started eating fine again. Seems she just gets bored with it.:rolleyes:
    I was planning on switching her to AG adult next, and getting one bag of chicken, one bag of lamb and alternating flavours to keep her interested...
    Aargh - all these dilemmas about dog food. The way this forum looks, it seems like we all put more effort into thinking about what our dogs eat than we do our own food! LOL

9. reddogsX3

reddogsX3 PetForums Senior

have you tried mixing the two give half tinned and kibble both meals i know mine pick at the kibble but if i add even a small amount of meat they eat like they haven't ate for a week lol. you can add more kibble than tinned but as long as the kibble has the taste of the meat it may get eaten both times.

wendy

10. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

How about putting some warm water in the kibble see if that helps.

Terri

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You might find she eats better when you get your new dog. Oscar used to leave his food. Once we got Alfie, he turned into a vacuum. Apparently he doesnt like to share.

Id also try mixing the two. Maybe soak the kibble first, then mash it together so she cant pick out the wet.

12. kenla210

Fingers crossed - she's so bloomin picky at the moment!

Good plan, wil give this a go. She turned has turned her nose up previusly when I've just tried moistening it, also has been known to pick the dry kibble out of the wet food (when she was on JWB which she really wasn't keen on), :mad2: but maybe if it was moistened and mixed she wouldn't be able to do this

Will give it a go and see how she gets on...

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I get those webbox chubs, quite cheap from Asda, about 3 tablespoons of it per meal for my 11kilo dog, mash it to a gravy with hot water, mix in a cup of kibble until it's all well coated. She never hesitates!

Feeding warm food brings out the scent and makes it more palatable for dogs.

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My lot have a small meal in the morning and their main meal at night.I never give only1 meal a day.

15. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I can vouch for this. Henry is so picky- until one of the other two vie for my attention and food! Then he'd eat anything you had just so his big brothers don't get it!

16. kenla210

well I tried rona's suggestion of switching the order (wet in the morning & dry in the evening) and she scarfed the lot with no fuss at all - straight down!
    No idea why it worked this way, but will keep trying this for the time being. If she stops eating her nibble again then will try mixing the two on both meals.
    Thanks for all the tips. 2 meals it stays :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice