Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 day old chihuahua puppies -need advice

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jazzy101, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Jazzy101

Jazzy101 PetForums Newbie

My gorgeous girl has had 2 gorgeous puppies, I’m after some advice ... I have done a lot of planning and research before hand and whilst she has been pregnant, all that information and I still feel so worried (of course) the whelping room is 28.4 c and the whelping box is 27.8 c , I know online it says to keep them between 29-32c for the first two days but having them at this temperature for the first 24 hours my girl wouldn’t stop panting and I started to worry for the three of them as it looked like they were overheating, so now we are at the temperature stated I’m just wondering is this to cold? Mumma seems fine but pups seem luke warm? Is 27.5 okay for them at 2days? Or is this to Cold? I called the vet they were not very helpful simply told me ‘turn the heating down if she doesn’t stop panting bring her in’ which completely just annoyed me as a trip outside for mumma and pups would be the WORST IDEA, taking mumma away from her pups for minimum 3 hours just to be told she is to hot was also not an option, since the heating has gone down she has stopped panting which is great but now I’m worried they are going to get to cold -I’m sorry if the way I wrote this is jumbled I have not slept in 3 day! - just to clarify my question is , is 28c to cold for 2 day old puppies that are constantly with their mummy - I will also be asking for more advice but this is the only question I need answering right now! Thank you in advance

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

With just two puppies to snuggle up with mum I am sure she will be able to help regulate their temperature. Is mum quite active? is she eating and drinking ok? Is she cleaning and feeding the puppies ok (pretty much continuously at 2 days old)? Are the puppies content and happy to be with mum? If the answer to all those questions is yes then I suspect the temperature is just right. I have no idea of the room temp when i have pups - never thought to check - I just go by the whole picture, not just a number if you know what i mean. If mum leaves the pups a lot then you can make a corner for them with a warm hot water bottle under a blanket and place them on there to sleep.

The Vet is correct in telling you that if turning the heating down doesn't stop the mum panting then you may need to take her in to them (as panting may indicate an infection). And you can take (drive) mum and pups in as young as two days old - you just wrap the pups up well with a warm hot water bottle under their blanket and let mum sit beside sniffing them.

J

3. Jazzy101

Yes to all of them she’s not left her pups only for the toilet and straight back to them, all is going really well just me being over worried constantly.

the pups were born on day 56 and they are teacup chis, it would be way to stressful to take them on any kind of journey now as they are weighing 3ounces of course if she needed to go I would make plans to get them there warmly and safely but I felt that the vet was not very helpful as I knew she was hot just didn’t know if it would be safe to reduce heat because of pups and that was her answer (not much concern for temperature dropping in pups) as I gave a lot of detail to them then what I have on here, thank you for your help on the temperature definitely going to pay attention to mum showing signs of being uncomfortable rather then the thermostat.

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

My bitches panted for a few days after giving birth; I thought it was to do with the uterus contracting a bit (I think particularly when the pups feed). Might be wrong as it was a while ago.

You can get a ‘puppy pad’ which is a bit like a frisbee, that you put in the microwave and it stays warm for ages; my pups used to pile on top of it. I learned from the first cold weather litter to plan whelping for the summer months if possible; so much less issues with too hot/too cold.

PS. The puppy pad is still going strong as a foot warmer for chilly nights.

Jazzy101 likes this.
  5. Jazzy101

thank you so much for your help , we have been around 27-28c in the box and she seems much better no panting only slightly if the temperature raises about 28.5c so definitely was to hot in here the pups are doing well if they were not so content I would be a bit worried about the temperature but they all seem very happy as of right now, they are so tiny fingers crossed everything stays okay

niamh123 likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I found keeping my whelping room at the recommended temperature unbearable, and so did my bitch. It was summer, so I turned the heating off and just used heat pads that the pups could move towards, or away from, as they wished. And plenty of bedding they could snuggle into.

Jazzy101 likes this.
  7. Jazzy101

thank you for the information, currently how we are set up now still keeping an eye on temp but mumma is much more settled now the heating is down ,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice