Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 cats different diets needed-please help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by twinkle, Jan 11, 2008.

1. twinkle

twinkle PetForums Newbie

I have a lovely tom cat that has to have a special urinary diet.
    I have just got a beautiful kitten and unfortunately she has been poorly (diarrhea), today I found out that kittens can not eat his special food (hills prescription diet).This is probably what made her ill.

I can not find a cat food that will keep him healthy and that won’t make our 14 week kitten poorly.

From experience dry urinary food is the best treatment for him.

It’s impossible to keep them out of each others food but I love them both and want to do the best for them.
    Ideally if there is one type of dry food I can feed them both then problem solved.

If anybody has any ideas please help me.

2. Beadell

Beadell PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Unfortunately there is no one food to solve your problem. I had the same problem with my elderly cat and kitten, I had to feed them meals rather than ad lib, and watch over them and pick up the food when they finished, they soon learnt that they had to eat at meal times. Sorry can't be of more help.

3. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

We have a moggie lad who has entered his amber yrs but has always had a sensitive tummy, after we learn't this we tried him on a light diet of Tuna chunks with no brine or oil, white fish and white chicken(no skin or fat) and he's been happy and healthy as have his poohs ever since:)Sometimes though highly recommended dried ,specially formulated foods though of a high,quality standard can make things worse and as for feeding them together maybe try the above or if possible feed them seperatley in different rooms, as sometimes just coz your cats aren't physically killing each other on sight or being obvious in other ways, doesn't always mean they're best buds,they could be making each other anxious without your knowing and this can add to the problem. I know it's hard and frustrating as we have only one oldish man now but we used to have 2(1 plays at rainbow bridge) and though they lived,argued, played and ate together for years(to see them you'd have thought they idolised each other and sometimes they did) they both had tummy issues,when 1 passed our other chap improved no end of course combined with his light diet:)Just try different diets,don't give up-you'll find a solution that suits all 3 of you i'm sure:)

4. Catloverbearsden

Catloverbearsden PetForums Member

Hi there, I have the same with my two cats and have to feed specific meals and watch them while they eat as if I turn my back my male cat (who is fed on Hills CD Multicare) will eat my female cats food which he should not eat. :)

5. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

There is no known condition for which dry food of any type is the best treatment for any cat. For LUTD's in particular the idea of feeding dry food is ludicrous. Whatever urinary disease he has, you can find a suitable wet food that will work and will not cause illness for the kitten. Can you expand more upon his illness?

6. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Sorry to ask but is that all he eats? :eek:
    1) It's not complete,
    2) Cats shouldn't eat too much fish and especially not tuna because of high mercury content.

7. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

You need to shut them in different rooms so they can each have the food they need and not leave food down and just supervise their food times if necessary - simple as! There is no short cut diet that makes your life easier, for cats which have very different dietary requirements I'm afraid, that's part of having pets! The kitten needs a slightly higher protein level anyway to make sure it grows correctly and your cat with urinary problems needs one with less, there is no inbetween diet that suits all cats!!:rolleyes:
    I've had cats with particular diets including urinary and even a diabetic cat who needed food at particular times - and with 18 cats I still managed to deal with it - it's called effort!!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice