Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

2 Bitches started fighting - Help !

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smaybelline, Jul 14, 2009.

1. smaybelline

smaybelline PetForums Newbie

I have 3 bitches.

Chihuahua x Poodle - 4yrs old - Spayed
    Pomeranian - 2yrs old - Not spayed - had 1 litter last year
    Chihuahua - 3yrs old - Not spayed - rescued her from a breeder where she had many cesareans and lost her pups. :(

I got the chihuahua about 1 month ago. They all get along fine and there were no problems, they all snuggle up together and everything was perect :)

The pomeranian and chihuahua are both in season, and the pomeranian just seems to be obsessed with the chihuahua. She is fixated on her and follows her everywhere, trying to lick her and play with her. She bends down and sticks her bum in the air - which is a play stance - Its all harmless and there is no aggression at all, but the chihuahua is just fed up of all this mithering and fixating, so every now and again the chihuahua will start a warning growl and then go for the pom.

I have tried to make a noise to distract when the pom is getting fixated, i have tried to stand in the way and block her. But its like she is possessed she is just so fixated on her, every move she makes!

Please help with any ideas, what can i do? I do not want to keep telling the pom off for wanting to play but then its so obsessive that she is stressing the chihuahua out! And im worried about them alone in the kitchen at night as i can hear every now and again the chihuahua doing her warning growls and i can just imagine the pom not sleeping and just trying to play and nuzzle her all night !!!

BTW, The chihuahua x poodle is not affected by any of this, she just curls up and goes to sleep ! lol

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You may need to seperate them until they have finished their seasons. I know that when bitches fight, it can turn really nasty and be an ongoing issue.

Do you have crates at all?

Are you going to get either of your unspayed bitches spayed?

3. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I agree I think your only option at the minute is to separate until the seasons are finished as you may find this continues even after the seasons have ended. When bitches fight it can be very nasty and you don't want any injuries either, I know I have had to home one of my bitches to my parents as she was taking on the youngest after she had her 1st season and it was turing very nasty even after the season was well and truely over.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Sounds like the best thing to do is keep them apart,i have 2 males both have been "done" but if there is a female in season in the neighbourhood they start to have a few set toos and spend days mounting each other,just seems that hormones are racing.

5. smaybelline

I was thinking of seperating until they have finished their seasons but i dont know if this will be an ongoing problem, i dont want to have to seperate them for ever.

I dont have any crates, just seperate rooms downstairs. But then who do i leave the chihuahua x poodle with?

Also i dont know wether to get them spayed or not, if this isnt going to solve the situation then i dont know what to do?

Im just puzzled because its not starting as a fight, the Pom dosent leap at her teeth showing or anything like that, its all starts as playing, she does her play stance just like she does when she is playing with the chihuahua x poodle. But she just nuzzles her back trys to lick her eyes and bum but she is quite rough and persistent, she just wont leave her alone.

Another thing i was thinking, is that the pom had a litter last year, she had 3 healthy pups and everything was fine. they all went to new homes when they were ready and they are nearly 1 now, im thinking maybe she is assuming this tiny chihuahua is one of her pups, she is constantly trying to clean her bum and vulva and eyes, could this be a factor? :confused: And obviously the chihuahua is older than her and is trying to say "OI im not your baby leave me alone!!"

6. smaybelline

Im hoping it is just hormones racing and that this wont be an ongoing issue.

Also the chihuahua x poodle trys to mount both the pom and the chihuahua when they are in season and sometimes they let her and sometimes they give a little growl but then she just gives up, gets over it and leaves them.

The pom just isnt getting it, its very strange to watch - she is seriously fixated on her! :(

7. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

2 bitches in season together is always a bad idea,they are hormonal and ratty,if you have not intention of breeding then when their seasons are finished you are best to get them spayed,in the meantime like suggested you will need to seperate them.
    I worked in a show kennels with giant breed dogs,when 2 bitches fought you can imagine the damage they caused.All because they came into season,sometimes we wewre never ablke to put those 2 bitches back together again.

8. smaybelline

I understand that but i have read a few websites that say even after they have been spayed it still doesnt stop.

Also.... the thing that is really confusing me is that they are not hormonal and ratty, they are fine and all get along but the pom just has these random half hours of being totally obsessed and fixated but its not aggresive - its all play orientated, she wants to play and mother her and the chihuahua has had enough!

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Neuter your dogs!

10. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I think we have all said what to do in the short term SEPERATE THE DOGS!! It will make your life instantly easier and the dogs happier :)

11. smaybelline

Yes i get it, short term - seperate, Long term - neuter.

I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind it, seeing as its a whole fixated - obsessed behaviour instead of an agressive behaviour.

12. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Spaying will not stop your bitches fighting, once bitches start to fight it is something that will possibly always happen whether they are spayed or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice