Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1st vet trip this evening

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by seratobyflynn, Apr 14, 2011.

1. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

Any advice on the first vet trip?

I'm planning on taking his favourite piggy toy and his blanket, but then I have silly questions like:

Is he allowed on the floor in there?
    Should I put a lead and collar on him? (he hates it at the moment, trying a bit a day!)
    Will he be ill after?
    Should I not feed him until after? His Evening meal is due 1/2 hour after appointment time?
    Should I take some treats?

Sorry for all the ????'s!!!!

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Not silly questions at all! :) I assume he's going for vacs?

I wouldn't put him on the floor to be safe, just hold him on your lap.
    If his lead and collar is going to stress him then I wouldn't worry about it (again just keep hold of him)
    If he's having vacs he might be a bit sleepy or fussy after and the injection site might be sore. Kenzie had a mild reaction to the vaccine and it inflamed her glands or lymph nodes or something :eek: and she started yelping when I picked her up so had to take her back to the vet. She was fine in a day or so though.
    I wouldn't feed him until afterwards.
    And I'd take some treats to help him learn that the vets is a nice place to be :rolleyes:

Hope that helps! But it's just my opinion :)

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

For jabs? I'd Carr him, not put him on the floor and treats so he thinks its a great place to be. Feed when you get home, don't take toys (you need to hold him). Put on collar and lead but just carry him so it won't upset him. Hopefully he won't be ill afterwards but keep an eye on him.

4. seratobyflynn

Yes his first vaccination. Thank you both very much, the floor or carrying thing seems obvious but no one tells you! I don't want to go in! I hate needles! My oh will take him if I have problems but Flynn follows me around so much I Think I should brave it!!

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Ah bless, it's always a worry but if it's any consolation T-Bo didn't cry at all with his jabs recently and even when he was micro chipped he didn't murmur. Some small dogs can be much braver than large ones - Marty for example always yells when he has a jab - embarrassing! :eek:

Good luck to Flynn for his first visit. :)

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Just to add what has already been said, dont make a huge fuss i pesonally dont think there is any need for blankets, toys or anything else dont forget you pup has no idea where he is going dont let him sense your anxiety only you know he is going to the vets and will be having a jab, if he squeals dont make a fuss i know it sounds hard but its extremely important that as far as you can, you need to not let your pup and then adult dog fear the vets.

7. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

If two of you are taking him to the vet, then I would suggest that you keep him in the car for as long as possible. Unfortunately vets are where sick dogs go so I would have one of you in the car with the pup and the other in the waiting room. Then when it's your turn, the person inside can dash out to collect you and the pup. Might seem OTT to some, but I always think better safe than sorry.

8. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

my pups 1st vet visit i put his collar on but carried him in also took a wee treat for him to give during injection but to tell you the truth don't think he even felt it - spent days dreading it for nothing :)

9. seratobyflynn

Thank you all so much for your input. All very helpful but after all my worrying it went splendidly! The vets were lovely people, Flynn was patient and only gave a tiny squeak when he got jabbed. He's a total ladies man they were pouring all over him! Thanks again!

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Glad it all went so well, you can't help worrying when they are so small and just babies.

Well done Flynn for being brave - goes with the name I think! ;)

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Glad it went well :) I know how you feel - I spent the first few months with McKenzie constantly stressing about her. I was convinced she was always about to contract some deadly disease! I've only just recently learned to relax :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice