Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1st stage of labour

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jodieg1992, May 30, 2018.

1. Jodieg1992

Jodieg1992 PetForums Newbie

My dog is 61 days pregnant (she was only caught once so I'm sure on the dates) . This is her first litter and she's a collie X lurcher .
    She has been panting on and off since last night and rarely leaving her whelping box, she's off her food, her nipples are swollen and she's been emiting a small amount of a milky fluid .
    Could anyone advise if this is the start of things and how long this stage should last, I've contacted my vet who said 'ill know when it's happening'- so not very helpful!
    We haven't been recording her temperature as it distresses her but she was shivering this morning .
    I've helped with whelping before but never experienced such a delay in active labour beginning .it's making me very anxious as she seems so uncomfortable.
    Any advice appreciated .Many thanks

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It certainly does sound as if she is ready to start whelping and hopefully she should begin tonight. The milky fluid is exactly what you would expect at this stage. But without seeing her of course we can only guess. They do suffer discomfort and the panting can be because she is now carrying low and it's not comfortable.

Obviously (as the vet says) you'll know when it starts ....and the waiting is often the worst. Of course if things change or she becomes lethargic or there is green discharge then you take her to the vet. But hopefully she is just preparing herself as the pups move down ready to arrive. Make sure you follow her out when she goes out to toilet too .........

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice