1st season

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jacjaiarch, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jacjaiarch

Jacjaiarch PetForums Member

Daisy is almost 8months now, yet to have any obvious signs of her being in season but I was just curious do male dogs only mount bitches when they are in season? Reason I ask is apart from licking herself more often down below I've not seen any blood at all, whilst walking her just now another dog (male) came up to her and instantly went for her behind then attempted to mount her. This is the first time it has ever happened, she has met other dogs many times on her walks who will have a sniff but never anything more or straight in like this dog today.

2. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

I would be careful.

Some bitches can have a so called 'silent' season, when there is no bloodloss. Some bitches having their first season begin by having a very slight loss, which gradually increases, but which, while it is slight they are very good at cleaning up before you see it.

If she is licking herself more than usual and a male has taken a keen interest, she could be in season.

Have you noticed any swelling of her vulva?

3. Jacjaiarch

Not noticed any swelling, she's very fluffy around that area. I've been checking on a daily basis as I want to be cautious with regards to walking her when she does have her season.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Any signs of swelling or enlarging of the vulva? That's often the first sign that you see. When bitches are in season then the amount of discharge they lose can vary considerably anyway from a little to much more, some bitches are also fastidious at keeping themselves very clean so you don't see very much at all that way, so if she is licking much more recently that could be another sign that she is perhaps. You can also get something called silent seasons where there doesn't appear to be any outward signs like swelling and discharge but they are in fact in season.

Other thoughts may be there is some kind of infection or other discharge, bitches pre season especially often a first one can get something called vaginitis, sometimes called juvenile vaginitis for this reason, one of mine did, normally you don't get a swelling but you do get a thickened discharge that is usually creamy/yellowish in colour and they will often lick more to clean themselves. It would likely also account for male interest.

Other thoughts would be a urinary tract infection perhaps, if she seems to be doing more frequent pees, or increased quantity or lots of little ones producing various amounts sometimes small amounts or a few spots that's often symptoms of uterine infections and sometimes cystitis, again males can seem more interested because it can make them smell different too. Anal gland problems can sometimes make males more interested too, the anal glands are scent glands located either side of the anal opening inside, they should empty naturally when they defeacate but sometimes they can get blocked inflamed or infected, and licking and worrying at their bottom is often a sign of that too as is scooting and rubbing their bottoms along the floor.

5. Jacjaiarch

Thank you for your reply, she's not peeing more frequently and not scooting/rubbing her bottom.
    She's generally her normal self, apart from the licking. I will keep a careful eye on her in case she does appear to have any of these signs.

6. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

Swelling of the vulva would normally happen when the bitch is in her receptive time, which would be about the middle ten days of her season.

If her vulva is not yet swollen, that doesn't indicate that she isn't in season.

7. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

When my girl came into season , the swelling was really obvious and she seemed to hang like a sock. She is very short haired though. Licking was first sign

8. Jacjaiarch

so today whilst having belly rubs I'm pretty sure I see the tiniest bit of blood, tried getting a picture but she wasn't having any of it! Just looked again (after she had been for a wee) and again I'm pretty sure they was a tiny spot of blood. Really hard to see as like I said before she is just so fluffy down there! Attached a pic of the only decent pic I could get, probs no help whatsoever. But the darker red area in the middle is what I'm thinking is blood. IMG_2630.PNG

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

What you could do when she doesn't seem to have been licking for awhile or after she has woken up and hasn't been licking, is to get a piece or softer white kitchen towel or a soft tissue and just gently dab it on the vulva area and see if there is blood or discharge.

If she isn't losing a lot plus the fact she is licking and cleaning herself a lot more often which again would make it easier to miss it might help you detect it a lot easier.

Putting everything you have said together, she is 8 months (seasons can occur from 6 months onwards) males are also interested, and the fact that she is cleaning and licking herself a lot, and now you seem pretty certain you can see some amount of bloody discharge it does sound more likely that she is in season then not.

10. Jacjaiarch

I was going to put a white sheet in her bed tonight and see if there is anything in the morning. Will try dabbing a piece of kitchen towel on there after she has had a nap. thank you for your reply.

Sled dog hotel likes this.