Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1st litter and VERY VERY SCARED! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by thompsonk, Jul 5, 2009.

1. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Hello,

I got my cat from the RSPCA at York and they told me she had been spayed. I found out yesterday that she hadn't by the vet telling me she was most likely over 5 weeks pregnant because the kittens spines were formed.

I have quite a few questions because the RSPCA told me that my cat has slight brain damage, a head tilt and balance problems due to the head tilt. I decided to adopt her because no one else had ever asked about her in the time she was in there and shes adorable. Now shes adorable and pregnant with 5-7 kittens!

She is litter trained, eats and drinks fine, gets about the house, escapes out the bathroom window and jumps off the side of the house so shes not too disabled! I just hope that she will cope with the birth, shes tiny too, really slender and just teeny tiny compared to other cats. She is insured with more than but reading the terms and conditions I'm not sure if their policies cover for a cesarean, does anyone know?

Also because I was told she was spayed and I bought her in that condition, will the RSPCA refund me for the vet fees of confirming the pregnancy, extra costs at caring for 5-7 kittens for 12 weeks, the vaccinations of the kittens and the spaying of my little princess Tilda??!!

Finances are not an issue, I can care for Tilda and her kittens with the extra cost, the fact is that the RSPCA told me Tilda had been done and I was not expecting her to come home pregnant. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like some insight on when to expect the little angels, Tilda is sleeping a lot but still eating well and drinking about 3 bowls of water a day. I've never owned a cat before and this was the last thing I was expecting!

Please help me, I'm very nervous! :eek: :confused: :eek:hmy: :eek: xx

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

ok, try not to get yourself worried, when the time comes she will be in control and know what to do..BUT it would be best if you are around to assist in any way...cutting of the cord/help if its breach/talking to her for re-assurance...

Cats are pregnant for 9 weeks, approx 65 days...but like me you dont know when that is up..best thing for you to do is try and follow some threads about pregnancy and the birth...(hopefully il have a birth story soon)...

Also try looking on the net, with my first experience i looked up...information on pregnant cats..I also watched the birth videos on youtube..
    "videos of cats giving birth"...It helped me alot, and I have been watching them this week, as there are new ones on there also it shows me again what im to expect..:001_tt2:

Izzie999 likes this.
  3. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

omg what a suprise for u!!! cant believe that the rspca always get them neuterd someones made a mistake! i would deff get in contact with the branch you rehomed her from and hopefully they will give some sort of money towards any costs you need i know they do vouchers to cover vet costs at certain branches for people who cant afford veterinary treatment so they might give you these to cover the costs, deff get in contact though! ive no knowledge in natural births of cats as not a breeder only seen ceasarian so am sure the pros will be able to help you in that area but good luck! cats do tend to do well on their own but id just be around incase just to reassure her and also u can keep an eye on her if she needs any help:)

keep us updated:)

beckyx

4. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

How old is the cat? Do you have any piccies? :)

5. thompsonk

Shes about 14months old, I'll try and get a pic on in the next few mins. Because I didnt know she was pregnant I havent had a chance to take time off work, I'm a nurse and staffing isn't great so I've got my housemate watching her closely while im at work and i keep reading the signs to look out for a couple of days before the birth.

Im going to get her a cardboard box as a birthing box tomorrow and luckily ive just redecorated my bedroom so have bedding that doesnt match so she will be warm and cosy, just hope she uses it!

Thank you so much for your help xx

6. thompsonk

Here she is, snoozing xx

Attached Files:

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

do you have any pics of her bump?

8. thompsonk

Just a min, I'll have to take some and upload them xx

9. thompsonk

These are the best ones I can get of her at the min, she always move when I'm going to get a really good one! xx

Attached Files:

10. Hiya Dont panic!

OK i foster pregnant cats and have fostered a couple of girls with head tilt. One was absoloutly fine with her babies, the other needed a little mre support. Head tilt is usually brain damage caused by disease or a traumer to the brain.

The one who needed more support needed to have me sat with her while she fed the babies, and i had to take over their pooping and weeing stimulation.

Both cats were clumsy, so i would be extra vigilent to prevent them sitting or laying on the kittens.

I would be onto the RSPCA straight away making a big big big complaint! If they told you she was speyed and wasnt then you certainly have a claim for all the costs incurred.

If you need any more help feel free to pm me.

xx

#10 billyboysmammy, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009
  11. thompsonk

Thank you for that info, its good to know that someone else has had a head tilt cat give birth. I will need advice on the stimulation you mentioned...humans i have no problem with that area being a nurse but my little princess' babies...no clue haha.

The explanation of brain damage caused by head tilt was missing from the post so some info on that would be greatly appreciated too xx

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Oh my god I am SO shocked, surely the RSPCA new this??? :eek:

I doubt they will pay for fees?!! I dont know?!

She looks quite small for 7 kittens? How do you know 7??

poor girl, at least she has a good home now with you! Look at the birthing thread above to se the things that are good to get for the birth.

Lets us know what the RSPCA say!! SPayed indeed!!!

OH! How long had she been with the RSPCA? Would that mean she got mated there if its long they how pregnant she is?!!!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

13. pm on the way!

Sorry having puter probs xx

14. thompsonk

The told me she had been done and it says neutered on the paperwork so they dont have a legal leg to stand on really. I took her to the vet on Sat and they did an USS and the vet said sh could see 5-7, the vet seems to think shes about 5-6 weeks gone.

Shes my baby and im dreading the birth, i dont want her to be in pain! They didnt say how long she had been in but ive had her for 3 months now so shes at it since shes been with me

What are the signs of the first stages of labour? And are they different for a cat with brain damage/head tilt? xx

15. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Well, don't let the RSPCA take her or they will simply spay her complete with kittens, that is their policy.

I'm sure she will be fine, cats usually are you know!

Liz

16. First signs of labour:

Nesting- nipping in and out of the boxes and other quiet areas while she chooses which is the best to give birth in. Most mums are fairly restless the day leading up to birth.

Milk - around 72hours before birth milk comes in and can be expressed from the nipples. I have known cats to only get their milk in during labour and others whove had it for 3 weeks before birth!

Temperature drop - you can take regular temperatures, and around 24hours before birth they will have a big drop. However in most cases i find this a little too intrusive and not needed.

Mucous plug: Just like in humans cats lose a mucous plug anything up to 48hours before birth (usually within 12hours). It looks like a pinky clear (pink from slight blood tinge but not really bloody) snotty gob. Not always seen as some cats clean it away before you see it.

Appetite: Again not fool proof but most queens go of their food before labour begins. However i have known cats eat their way through labour lol!

Diarrhoea - many girls get a couple of episodes of the runs up to 3 days before birth.

17. Head Tilt in cats:

Sudden onset head tilt is most likely to be caused by things such as grass seeds in the ears, or ear infections.

Long term head tilt is usually caused by one of 4 things.
    1) head trauma (causing encephalitis or brain other injury) - a bump on the head, maybe from a car accident or falling our of a window

2) suffocation (causing encephalitis or another brain injury) - either during birth or early kitten hood (perhaps mum sat on the kitten)

3) idiopathic (unknown) causes.

4) encephalitis (swelling of the brain) caused by an illness or disease such as toxoplasmosis.

The only way to know exactly what your girl has would be a full medical history and possibly a barrage of tests and scans costing thousands of pounds. Be thankful that she is happy and healthy - if a little quirky ;)

18. I pm'd you with details on how to stimulate a cats bowels... but thought i might aswell post it too.

Normally a mum cat will stimulate all kittens bowel and bladder movements by licking their bottoms. However some cats especially cats with special needs or first time mothers seem to not know what to do. So this is where you need to step in.

found this about stimulation on the net... explains it so much better than i can:

19. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Very helpful advice given!!:D

My cats milk has been in for 7 days now..so I am happy to know this is normal.

In fact she is keeping me waiting so long I think it may all just be water retention :rolleyes:

20. thompsonk

Thanks for the advice everyone, you've all been a great help. I have made her birthing box today, its cosy and nice and dark for her or i can take the top off if she wants it off, she had a look inside then gone back to sleep on the sofa next to me.

The RSPCA are not getting their hands on her or her babies! York RSPCA were closed today but I'm going to ring them as soon as they open tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves.

The vet said she looks very happy and very healthy so I'm probably worrying far too much but I cant help it.

Hope everyone is ok xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice