Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

18 week old Cocker has gone crazy!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tara 76, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Tara 76

Tara 76 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Dotty was a 'perfect pup' 3 days ago :) I thought we had turned a corner in as much as the biting/nipping etc. and house training has been brilliant. However she has turned into demon dog:mad5:! She is really nipping everyone again. Pulling and biting on clothes. Growling when she does. She really barks when she is told off (but she seems to be in the play position; paws to the floor, bum in the air). This is just about constant for the last few days. I know she is teething as she lost a tooth in my Daughters jumper! And her breath is quite stinky (fishy; I read that is teething).

She really isn't a nice puppy to be around right now. Any tips? Will this pass? Bearing in mind this is just about all the time other than when she is sleeping what can I do?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Here are some articles on this subject by qualified, reputable trainers and behaviourists

The Bite Stops Here by Dr Ian Dunbar

http://cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/Puppy biting.pdf

Puppy Play Biting Leads to Marks on Hands and Arms | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/teachingbiteinhibition.pdf

http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files...t_1_Puppies_-_Mouthing_and_biting_low_res.pdf

http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/training-tips/Playbiting_000.pdf

DVD
    Your Clever Dog: Puppy biting, chewing and over-excitability with children
    Sarah Whitehead

All puppies bite! They come with a set of needlesharp teeth that a shark would be proud of. This behaviour is perfectly normal, but needs to be prevented in order for the dog to become a calm and social member of the family.

This DVD is specially designed to show you exactly what you need to do to reduce and then stop your puppy from biting and mouthing using only kind and fair methods, and the secrets that top dog trainers know.

This DVD also covers the essentials for making sure that your ‘puppy chewing machine flexes his teeth on all the right things, and leaves your shoes, the kids’ toys and your furniture alone.

Sarah Whitehead also gives advice on puppies and children, and how to ensure they grow up happily together.

Including:
    • Why biting is an integral part of your puppy’s development
    • How to control your puppy’s biting
    • How to keep kids safe with your puppy
    • How to play with your puppy to help control biting
    The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD, 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah

Dogtrain.co.uk

3. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

YES, it will pass....just be persistent with the anti-mouthing training. Which I presume you are familiar with?

View it as a temporary "language & communication impediment". She is still speaking and understanding her own dog language. Puppies play ROUGH. With their teeth. That is how they hone their attack and defense skills.

Some pups are unbelievably mouthy and extraordinairy land-sharks, never mind how much you say "OUCH", "NO!!", yelp or whatever else you do...and some cotton on quicker to the fact that those weird humans don't play like dogs. But she WILL learn it.

One of the most die-hard land sharks I have EVER encountered - my friend's erstwhile pup - is now the most mellow, gentle, careful, soft-mouthed adult anyone could wish for. But for nearly a year ( !!!) he left an extensive trail of ripped clothes, bruised arms and legs...he was a nightmare. No other way to put it.

Hang on in there and be persistent. It will pass. Honestly.

4. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Yep the biting just having that now with mine usually it's him getting me to play but you don't half know about it when he catches in the wrong place bit my gut the other day stung a bit.im just trying what everyone else is suggesting and being consistent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice