Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

15 Year Old cat gone missing

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dpb1, Aug 3, 2009.

1. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Our 15 year old male tabby has been missing since last Tuesday. He never usally wanders very far and we have put flyers around our street and spoken to neighbours. We have also contacted Cat protection and local vets.

Is there anything else we can do as we feel helpless and worry about where he is and what has happened. We also had a female cat go missing a few years back who came back after a fortnight, but worry this time as he is an old boy.

Some people say that some cats just wander off at a certain age and time of life but this doesn't make things any easier on us. We leave the catflap open hoping he comes wandering back.

#1 dpb1, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Marry

Marry PetForums Newbie

:(

I have heard that old cats could leave their houses and go to die (sorry) somewhere...
    But I hope I just make mistakes in my assumption... :(

3. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

I've also heard this too but even if he has then surely someone should see him ?

4. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

You’ve done great by putting up flyers, speaking to neighbours and contacting shelters/vets – that’s about all you can do really.

The cat we have at my parents house is about 13 years old now and seems to be wandering off more and more with old age. He always been an outdoor cat but never usually strayed any further than the back gardens of our neighbours – now we see him all over the neighbourhood and sometimes he doesn’t come back for days. Most recently he was missing for about 10 days; we were really worried as he hadn’t been himself lately and we thought he might be ill and got lost, forgotten his way back or had an accident but he came back home eventually with just a few scratches on his face and looking a bit thinner.

Good luck in finding him, I really hope he comes home – I know how worrying it is, but cats are great at finding their way back; I’m sure he’ll make it eventually. Make sure and keep us updated!

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Something you could do is Put up a nice photo of your cat on the front of your door. The Postman etc, will notice this and also put one in the window of your car. Also mention it to kids and offer a reward as they sometimes notice cats while they are outside playing.
    These are some of the things I did when one of ours went missing.
    I hope he comes back safe to you soon.

6. Princessiona

Princessiona PetForums Newbie

Sorry to hear your cat has gone missing, I hope he turns up

7. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Still no sign i'm afraid to say. Everyone around the neighbourhood is being very good and will look out for him.

It's been a week today that we last saw him !

8. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

so sorry to hear that your cat has gone missing, hope you find her, x

9. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

This post shows that you should not give up hope!:)

10. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Thanks Tillski, but is it usual for 15 year old cats to go wandering when they don't normally ?

11. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

Well, like I said in my first post – we have a 13 year old cat who went wandering for about 10 days; we do think it was due to old age, he hadn’t quite been himself lately - sitting in corners facing the wall and only walking around the edges of rooms, unusual stuff like that but he managed to find his way home eventually safe and sound. Has your cat always been an outdoor cat? If so he should have pretty good bearings of where he is, perhaps it will just take him a little longer to get there.

Of course, it could be sad news with his age but try to stay positive, cats of all ages have been known to turn up many weeks later!

12. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Tillski

He is use to going outside and often just sits in the middle of the garden.

Hope he turns up soon !

13. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Update-5/8/09

Still no sign but one of our local vets rang today to say a tabby had been brought in, but it wasn't our boy- At least by informing vets,cat protection etc it widens the search.

14. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Is there any more we can do ??

15. dpb1

dpb1 PetForums Newbie

Thought I would post an update -

One month tomorrow and still no sign, even put in local newspaper. I fear the worst for my old boy !

16. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry he's gone missing...

But don't lose hope yet I really hope he is ok and finds his way home again :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice