Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

15 week puppy throwing up at night - not bilious vomiting

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Francescerous, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Francescerous

Francescerous PetForums Newbie

This is my first time posting after a while lurking, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help or perhaps has had a similar experience...

I have a 15 week old flat coated retriever called Luna, on Monday morning she threw up her dinner from the evening before, this was followed by a bout of diarrhoea which only lasted that morning. Later on she threw up again and in the sick was a chunk of her bedding, which I had no idea she had eaten. I took her to the vet, who did x-rays and couldn't see a blockage, but prescribed ranitidine to calm her stomach.

Monday evening she threw up some food again, Tuesday morning the same, but since then she has only been being sick once a day, and seemingly always around 11/12 at night. This morning I could see she had been sick but she had eaten it and not thrown it up again.

I should mention that through all of this she has otherwise been completely normal, very lively, no signs of any pain or tenderness, no lethargy and a big appetite. She has been eating small meals of chicken and sweet potato throughout the day which she keeps down, it is only at night she is sick, and I can't see any pattern to it!

She is pooping, and the sweet potato is visible in it so things are moving, I'm not sure what to do next, whether another vet check is necessary or perhaps she just has an upset stomach which is taking a little while to settle? Last time we went to the vet they mentioned surgery to see what is going on, but that seems VERY extreme.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

2. Ava ava

Ava ava PetForums Newbie

Is she actually vomiting or regurgitating her food look into megaesophagus good luck

3. Francescerous

Francescerous PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the response, I've just done some reading about megaesophagus and I don't believe it is that as she is clearly retching, but thank you, it is something to keep in mind.

4. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

get some blood tests at the vet, keep to the soft diet little and often, maybe add scrambled egg or a white fish boiled, do a meal just before sleep time as sometimes dogs will be sick if they have an empty stomach feeling, not sure your feeding times, also no exercise or play after food make sure she rests, we always have a 2 hour rule, some people prefer 1 hour, as the Vet mentioned probotics and fluid replacement drink, this settles tums, it could be just a tummy upset

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice