Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

15 week old lab, what is exeptable behaviour?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by npg81, Oct 15, 2013.

1. npg81

npg81 PetForums Newbie

Hi. We have a 15 week old black lab called florence and also a 2yr old cocker spaniel called hudson.

Hudson was crate trained so we are doing the same with florence although we have now put her in a pen.

She is very vocal, yaps alot of the time, hudson wasnt vocal at all! When we put her to bed she will yap for anything up to half an hour. She wakes up 2 hours after going to bed, so we let her out and she goes to the loo. Sometimes this can be twice a night. Is this normal? Hudson didnt used to get up that amount of time.

She also hates being on her own and is a mummys girl.

Does anyone have any advice for me or is it just a case of persevering?

Thanks

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

They vary, my oldest girl was a model puppy, she didn't bite too much, didn't make lots of noise, was toilet trained quite quickly; her half sister however was like a furry crocodile, not noisy so much, but you would have thought I was feeding her pure E numbers at certain times. A friend has a Lab pup that's fairly vocal, and boy is it a high pitched yap!

They are very sociable as a breed, some more so than others, it is just a case of persevering with the crate training, don't just put her in there when it's time for bed, or for you to go out, but encourage her to go in there for treats throughout the time you're in the house. If you buy her a new toy, encourage her into her crate and to sit nicely for her to get it, their crate should be a place they enjoy going to, and spending time in there should be a nice experience. I'd also suggest stuffed kong toys for when you go out, so that she has something to keep her occupied.

Funnily enough, there's a thread discussing the programme last night, with dogs suffering separation anxiety and the point was made, it's so important to ensure pups are trained to be happy with their own company when they are young, so the problem doesn't escalate as they grow.

3. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Yes it's all perfectly normal :) It's also normal to feel like your puppy is being a genuine pain rather than just being a pupster. We are finally at the stage where we aren't letting Blade out for a pee during the night. It happens now and again but not ever night like before :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice