Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

14-year-old Labrador may be dying. Unsure of what to do?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bin_b0x, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bin_b0x

bin_b0x PetForums Newbie

My 14-year-old male Labrador is lying outside in the grass, unwilling to move. He has not eaten this morning and was behaving oddly yesterday. I'm concerned that he's at his final moments, and I would love to bring him somewhere warm. I've tried calling to him, rubbing and hugging him, coaxing him with food, and using his walk chain which, even in his elderly years and at the height of his hip dysplasia, he would always leap for.

However, I don't want to disturb him as I've read that some dogs prefer to be alone when they're passing. But when I look outside and see him wallowing alone in the rain, my heart breaks. If feel like a horrible owner. I don't know what to do.

Please advise me.

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Could you get a vet to come out and meanwhile cover him with a quilt ? Does he respond to being petted , any signs of recognition or enjoyment ?
    It does sound as he's detatched himself poor old boy, I've heard that some dogs prefer solitude at the end.
    I would definitely try and get your vet to visit, it would be too traumatic to move him. So sorry this is happening , please come back and let ius know.

Lurcherlad and bin_b0x like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

He may be unwilling to move, but he may also be confused and disorientated.

I would carry him indoors. He must be extremely cold and, if he has come to the end, that is not a pleasant situation for him.

Lurcherlad and bin_b0x like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Have you phoned your vet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I would
    1. Carry him inside
    2. Phone the vet

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

My thoughts were that a Lab might not be possible to carry indoors by one person. I certainly couldn't do it.

7. bin_b0x

bin_b0x PetForums Newbie

We have but there has been no answer. We're still trying.

Fortunately, some good news. We managed to get him up through a lot of calling and rubbing, and from there we half-carried, half-guided him into a wheelbarrow and brought him to shelter without causing any noticeable pain. He's lying down and has regained some energy (looking around more, lifting his head a little when he notices us), but remains recumbent, lethargic, and shows no willingness to get back up.

We will continue to monitor him and get a local vet out to assess our options.

ForestWomble and SusieRainbow like this.
  8. rottiepointerhouse

Are you UK based? I'm pleased to hear you have managed to get him to shelter and hope you get hold of a vet shortly.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

Oh, that sounds better, at least you know he's warm, dry and comfortable now. Has he eaten today ? Or had a drink ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. bin_b0x

bin_b0x PetForums Newbie

No, Ireland. I don't know if Paddy's Day is keeping the vets busy but I'll keep trying.

No. Ignored his breakfast and hasn't touched the water bowl. My dad noted that he'd been behaving strangely yesterday, twitching, irritable, changing resting spots frequently.

11. leisurely

leisurely PetForums Junior

poor dog. At least he isn't outside. If it were my dog, I'd be reluctant to leave his side. I wouldn't want to die alone.
    Very best wishes

12. rottiepointerhouse

Surely the vet has a receptionist to answer their calls and if not they should have some sort of answering service to put you through to the nearest emergency vet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. solo

solo PetForums Member

Any news on your lab ?

14. bin_b0x

bin_b0x PetForums Newbie

He made it through the night. Got a hold of a vet on the phone and he said that he may be in his final days, but added that so long as he is not in pain it would be better to let him go naturally. So far, my lab has been agreeable. He walks if given a bit of a nudge, wags the tail when someone comes, and drinks water if supplied in small amounts. He ate a few biscuits earlier too.

He's lying in shelter though constantly moves outside if the door is left open. Hard to know what is the issue. Vet said to keep an eye on him over a few days and see how his ailment progresses.

Thanks for your kind wishes and advice. It has helped. Will update again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice