Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

14 week old puppy weeing and pooing in crate !!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lisaf1993, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Lisaf1993

Lisaf1993 PetForums Newbie

We recently got a beautiful little sausage dog, first 4 weeks she was doing so well we trained her to love her crate and go in for peace, sleep and feel safe
    Up untill about 12/13 weeks she was 90% of the time doing her business outside with the odd accident.

Suddenly. She's still mostlydmostly her business outside in the day however at night weeing and pooing in her crate ! And soemtimes in the day and we just don't know why it's started ! We've ruled out medical issues as when we go on trips etc she hold it in and had never (touch wood) had an accident on anyone elses house
    No matter if we get up 3 or 6 times a night to let her out to do her business she will still do it in the crate and then cry for us to come and clean it up. Why not just let us know she needs to do her business in the first place? Or do it outside

I really don't want her crate to become a horrible place for her as she loved it so much!

Does anyone know how we can stop her before it become a habbit!? It's so frustrating and really really stressing both me and my partner out

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think your expectations are a little high. At her age, it really is very early to expect her to be housetrained. Sometimes dogs seem to regress, but it is actually when we take our eye off the ball and don't let them out at the right times. I really wouldn't expect her to let you know when she needs. Better to be proactive and go back to taking her out on a schedule, including an overnight toilet (at least it's summer ...).

It might be an idea to have her crate in your room, in case she is doing it because of anxiety. It doesn't have to be forever, once she is sleeping through the night and clean, you can start to move it (gradually, in stages) back to her normal sleeping place.

I'd also still reward all outside toilets, immediately so that it is clear that the reward is for toileting and not for anything else, and generously so that it is worth her while to try to hold on to earn her lovely reward.

#2 JoanneF, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Could you take her for a walk round the block before bed time to make sure she's empty? That works with mine.

Dog-dogs, Lurcherlad and Lisaf1993 like this.
  4. Lisaf1993

Thank you Joanne. Put it in perspective for us a bit ! She's is still very young and we do forget sometimes
    Think we need to go back to basics a little bit !

5. Lisaf1993

This is a great idea and something we will definitely start doing as maybe we're taking her out too early but sometimes she waits untill she's home to do her business! Very stubborn dachshund!

Thank you X

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

:)
    Oh, they are !:)
    I find 10-15 minutes walking and sniffng does the trick.

Lisaf1993 likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

perhaps its not about being stubborn but not having enough confidence to go outside of her home .

How old is she?

8. Lisaf1993

She's 14 weeks she will sometimes do her business outside but very very rarely

kimthecat likes this.
  9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh Ive just realised her age is in the title :rolleyes: Sorry!

As JoanneF said that is very young.

We loved to see photos of your pup! :D

10. Lisaf1993

Very cute!!

Attached Files:

niamh123 and kimthecat like this.
  11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Aww, she's so tiny ! What's her name?

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Against the flow of the thread I know, but this may be part of the problem.

A puppy of fourteen weeks should be able to sleep overnight, without the need to go outside several times. The advice to take her a short walk prior to bedtime is good, but you really shouldn't be getting up several times a night with her and this may be why she is making a fuss during the night.

I would put a puppy pad in one half of her crate and her bedding in the other. Once she learns that she has to settle down at night, she will stop wakening up.

Dog-dogs, niamh123, Twiggy and 2 others like this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Adorable!

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

She isn't being stubborn and it rather sounds as if you've inadvertently taught her that her crate is where she is supposed to toilet at night. It's easily done (honest). My rescue collie pup did the same. Have you got room for a puppy pen that you could put her cage in with the door open? Put a puppy pad or some newspaper down in the pen which she will hopefully use instead of soiling her bed and then you can leave her all night. At least this would be a step in the right direction.

Lisaf1993 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice