Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

14 week old kitten vomiting once to twice a week

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Luna_thekitten, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Luna_thekitten

Luna_thekitten PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

New kitten mummy here! I have a 14 week old kitten who has been vomiting once or twice a week now. The vomit looks like undigested food with no liquids or bile and tends to happen at night or early morning (I usually discover it when I wake up), so not straight after eating... We have fed her the Go Cat kitten dry food and the Whiskas+Felix kitten wet food. We then found it that the Go Cat one is not great so thought it might be the grains. We then reduced that for a while then slowly introduced the Purine One kitten dry food instead. She did not vomit for a week so we thought it was solved, but now she started again...
    What else could it be? Could it be that she is trying to get a hairball out but it's stuck?

At the moment we feed her wet food (mixed with some dry to get her used to it) in the morning and evening and then we leave dry food out during the day and night for her. She will sometimes eat it and sometimes just nibble on it. We both work all day, so can't give her smaller portions more frequently.

Other then that, she is still super playful and runs around despite vomiting. No signs of her feeling unwell.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Luna_thekitten and welcome :)

It sounds as though your kitten is not drinking enough water to hydrate the dry food, so she can't digest it. Dry food needs ingestion of a lot of water to allow the stomach to process it and make it digestible and kittens are often not able to drink enough water. Cats as a species are not designed to drink much water, but to get their moisture from the body fluids of their prey.

I would take kitty off most of the dry food, just give a few pieces as treats and instead concentrate on feeding her a good quality, low carb, high meat protein wet food. i.e, not Felix or Whiskas, (which contain high carbs - grains + added sugars - and a high percentage of indigestible vegetable protein).

Consider decent foods from pet stores such as Natures Menu Kitten, HiLife Chicken for kittens, Lily's Kitchen Kitten, Little Big Paw (the latter suitable for all stages of development).

Or, for better value for money buy food online from Zooplus (where many of us shop for cat food). There is a pinned thread on these boards giving the carb content of all the good foods

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

I would go for Animonda Carny Kitten, Bozita tins, Animonda Vom Feinsten Kitten, Smilla Kitten, Feringa Kitten, Miamor Ragout Royale Kitten, Leonardo Kitten. These are all grain free with no added sugars or vegetable protein and better quality than Felix and Whiskas.

Young kittens need 5 or 6 separate meals a day. During the night, or times when you're out all day, you can leave wet meals for her in a timed auto-feeder. I have used the Cat Mate C20 for many years and it is reliable, with two dishes and two separate timers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C20-Automatic-Feeder/dp/B0002YHUPC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=ZIOFNX9S5NHK&keywords=cat+mate+c20+automatic+pet+feeder&qid=1562756071&s=gateway&sprefix=Cat+Mate+C20,aps,132&sr=8-5.

moomoowawa, Luna_thekitten and Soozi like this.
  3. Luna_thekitten

Luna_thekitten PetForums Newbie

@chillminx Thank you so much!! Yes, we did not realise how awful whiskas and felix were, so we are definitely looking to change once she's finished the pack! I have divided her evening meal into 2 smaller parts as well and so far so good!

moomoowawa and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice