Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

14 week old kitten - Amount of Food ? WET

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Milly22, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

This girl has me puzzled. She will not eat dry food, she will not eat food with dry food mixed through it. :rolleyes:

She now likes Hilife but it is so boring as its chicken & duck, chicken & turkey, chicken and other boring stuff etc.

So I bought her some sardines and some mackerel.

So today she has had around 3/4 of Hilife and she is now meowing again for food. The dry food is there but she still meows.

What else can I give her that will upset her tummy and should I be on 3 meals per days rather than 2 like the breeder told me, she also said was coming up 16 weeks but she's not. I have her date of birth. I know I should know all this but this girl looks like she could want to feed 4/5 time but what can I vary her with.

I had thought of scrambled egg, then chicken meal for snack, then mackerel, then chicken meal for snack but what else ?

She is walking all over me. Me meows every time I walk to the fridge.

I have wormed her thoroughly.

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, at her age I would be feeding her little & often. She should be getting about 3-4 meals a day, Im shocked that the breeder told you 2. She is obviously still hungry thoughout the day so definately feed her more.

Some cats just do not like dry food so I wouldnt worry it about it as long as you give her a complete wet food. I'd stop giving her biscuits if she doesnt like it.

To be honest I wouldnt try to be overly fussy with her food as it will cause you problems later, I did this with one of my kitties and now he's the most picky fussiest eater ever!

#2 kittykat, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  3. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Hi I think she has you tied around her little paws, now she owns the fridge, tee hee! Good for her she doesn't like dry, I don't think they should eat the stuff anyway, it is full of fillers & could cause kidney probs, as soon as you open the package you can smell it starting to break down. Not too much fish either, everything in moderation, she has only got a little tum, mess her around & she will get the poo's & tummy probs. Sometimes it's best to give small portions a couple of times per day than two huge ones, a cat needs between 6/8 hours to digest. May be the food you are feeding is not filling her, look for a make that has a high meat content, not fillers. When you change her diet, introduce her slowly. mixing a little new with what she is eating untill you wean her onto the new stuff. Good luck with your little bundle.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If she likes the Hi-life let her have it - you might think it is boring but she obviously doesn't - you can also buy Hi-life in fish varieties. Try Natures Menu (buy it online with them or at Pets@home etc), Tesco's finest, Applaws, all the stuff you can get off Zooplus, try raw, etc. Scrambled egg is good. I wouldn't fuss about her not eating dry - if she isn't bothered then don't force it - you want her to grow up into a good strong breeding queen - she can do that without eating dry food. There are lots of good foods out there go and buy a few sample packets and see what she likes and keep ringing the changes so she doesn't end up too fussy.

5. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Hi

Well, tbh I don't think kittens are like us and need variety. My Millie is the same age as your as she is now on natures menu which is basically chicken, chicken and more chicken! She loves it. She's on 1½ pouches a day but she's always hungry so she sometimes gets an extra spoonfull. They grow so much in the early days so I don't "think" (someone with experience might say otherwise) you can really overfeed a kitten since they are running round like mad things most of the time.

Millie loves dry food but I have recently discovered it doesn't like her (I think it's the cereal and rice content). Before Millie had her jippy tummy she was on a pouch/pouch and a half of Pets at Home Purely as well as a handful of James Welbeloved dry.

HTH

Bellini

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Thanks very much for your replies.

I nipped out shopping and bought more tuna and sardines and eggs and mince :).

She has just wolfed down about 2 table spoons of tuna. I will keep her on 3/4 meals or as and when for now I think.

She likes the Hilife but I have figured out that she likes it from the fridge rather than just from the pouch, I am thinking this is because she can eat it easier... or she a fussy kitty!

I will give her this and 1 other meal (ie egg, fish, mince) per day as I don't want her getting fussier.

Does this sound okay ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice