Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

14 month pregnant bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jay Spencer, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Jay Spencer

Jay Spencer PetForums Newbie

Hi, just a bit of information.

I have recently found out my olde tyme bulldog bitch is pregnant. She got with my brothers dog of the same breed.

However she is only 14 months. Anyone else been in similar situations? And has their dog coped at 14 months. It was her third heat.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No need to make two posts on the same topic.

How far along is the pregnancy? When did the mating happen?

3. Jay Spencer

I didn’t see there was a one dedicated to breeding. She will 4 weeks this Friday from the lock.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would speak to your vet about the Alizin injection. You can still terminate at 28 days and it's best for her and in general.
    Were you planning on mating her eventually? If not you can also discuss a spay abort with your vet.

simplysardonic likes this.
  5. Jay Spencer

I’ve not really thought about it as of yet with her only being 14 months. I’ve previously had 3 litters of Boston terrier pups but she was around 2 with her first litter.

I’ve spoken to my friend who is a vet, who believes she will be ok at 14 months, given it was her third heat. My brothers dog is a lot smaller than her, as she is rather big for the breed. I was hoping for a bit more advice on successful pregnancies at 14 months. She will be 15 months on the 25th of this month.

6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

If you truly love and value your dog, get her to the vets for mismate jab now
    Apart from the dog being immature at 14m, no matter how many heats she's had, these dogs have historic problems with delivery, and you could end up with the puppies all dead, her dead
    Or
    If you were very lucky
    A caesarean costing £1,000s, more if it was OOH
    Then she could refuse/kill the pups, either due to having had the caesarean and pain of feeding on the stomach
    Or
    Because she's immature and not more than a puppy herself, doesn't recognise them as her puppies
    IF she was to reject them you might hand feed and toilet them, every 2 hours 24/7, only for them to die through "fading puppy syndrome"
    And even IF none of that happened, you could still lose her through lack of calcium because she's giving it all to her pups, a retained placenta causing sepsis, because someone miscounted or a myriad of other pregnancy/birth related conditions

Please get the mismate for her and have her spayed
    Tell your brother to get his neutered too
    It's the only responsible thing to do

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Allowing this pregnancy to continue is extremely risky.

Bulldogs often need a C Section and can have real problems self whelping. Her age could be a real issue also.

I used to breed but never from a bitch so young.

How did she manage to be with your Brother's dog, (fortuitously of the same Breed), and how were they allowed to mate?

simplysardonic, lorilu and O2.0 like this.
  8. Jay Spencer

thank you for your concern, and I appreciate it and I will take it on board. However, myself and my brother are both successful breeders and his dog is champion show dog stud. I’m more than aware of the health complications within the breed, hence my stating in the previous reply my brothers dog is a lot smaller and she is considered very big for her breed. Money is not an issue, therefore I’m not worried about that.

9. Jay Spencer

Hello Rafa,

I’m a principal of a school, and I often take her down my mothers when I’m going to be working late. Unfortunately, my brother took his dog down after a walk and they got to each other.

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Then, as she doesn't conform to the Breed Standard, you should not be breeding from her.

I would consult your Vet and have the Alizin injection for her, or an emergency spay.

adamantis, lorilu and O2.0 like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

But, given that she was in season, how and why did your Brother and Mother not notice that these dogs were mating?

lorilu and O2.0 like this.
  12. mrs phas

Where is he a champion showdog?
    Old thyme bulldogs are not a recognised breed, by KCs
    So any "championships" he may or may not have won is highly irrelevant and just another excuse to let her carry the pups
    Prove you're not in it just for the money and put her first by getting her the mismate

13. mrs phas

There is no breed standard, they're not recognised as a breed, not even in the states, where it seems they just have to bark, for the dog to be accepted by the AKC

14. Jay Spencer

Quite evidently they noticed, to let me know it happened.

15. mrs phas

What a coincidence he did that, just as she was in heat

simplysardonic likes this.
  16. Jay Spencer

They are shown at NEBBR.

17. Jay Spencer

I don’t even think my brother was even aware she was in heat.

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, all of the above apart, whether the mating was accidental or orchestrated, if this bitch belonged to me, I would not allow her to continue with this pregnancy.

She's too young and the potential risks would be too much.

I would really advise you to terminate the pregnancy, either by Alizin or an emergency spay.

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

As an experienced breeder I would have expected your brother to know your bitch was in heat, notice his dog's interest in her, and prevent a mating.
    This mating does not sound accidental to me.....

charlie15, adamantis, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  20. Jay Spencer

Unfortunately, as it was told, they were both running about the garden as the kids were getting sorted to go home. Yes, he breeds, but as I lastly stated, my brother wasn’t to know she was in heat, as it’s not something that would be a topic of our conversations, unless we were planning to breed.

Again all in all, I came here for advice. Not to be judged. But again, we live in a time where people can hide behind computers to be keyboard warriors. Signing off now, no further forward from the help of vet wannabes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice