Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

13 year old with inguinal inguinal hernia

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Simone Verver, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Simone Verver

Simone Verver PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience with an inguinal hernia in their (older) dogs? My 13 year old has a small one since Thursday. According to the vet he doesn't need surgery now because the only thing protruding right now is fat, but we have to keep an eye on it because his intestines or bladder could get stuck, and we are checking it daily.

And this morning the lump in his thigh/groin feels a bit firmer than before and the vet will call me later today to talk about it. He isn't in any pain and we may touch it. He did have to pee in the middle of the night, but it's quite warm here now so maybe he drank more. (I read drinking more can be a sign of blocked intestines etc)

Sorry for me rambling!
    I'm just a bit nervous especially if he does needs a surgery. The idea of anesthesia just scares me a bit, even though I know the vets really well!

Thanks in advance!
    Greetings from me and paws from Mika

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice