Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

12l tank and filter questions

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Dr ago, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Dr ago

Dr ago PetForums Newbie

Hi all, new member here, hoping you can help me out

We got my daughter a 12L tank starter kit this week from PaH. We have used this for 3 Platys.

My questions are 2 fold:

Is this tank big enough? I have had a look through other posts on here and the general thinking seems to be that tanks of this size are too small for anything

My other question is about filters, the kit came with one included, are these generally safe to be used 24/7? Are there any particular brands that would be considered high quality /safe?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

The tank is way too small - you need at least 50 litres for three platys and preferably double that, as they can become quite big. Also, unless you were very clear that you wanted only one sex, you’ll probably have babies soon.....

You should run the filter all the time, and you also (ideally) need a heater for platys. You’ll need a bigger filter for a larger tank, of course. I suggest you take everything back (the shop won’t be surprised - they have a terrible reputation where fish are concerned) and start again.

3. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

The tank is way too small - you need at least 50 litres for three platys and preferably double that, as they can become quite big. Also, unless you were very clear that you wanted only one sex, you’ll probably have babies soon.....

You should run the filter all the time, and you also (ideally) need a heater for platys. You’ll need a bigger filter for a larger tank, of course. I suggest you take everything back (the shop won’t be surprised - they have a terrible reputation where fish are concerned) and start again.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Also the filter needs to be cycled before adding fish. Fish produce waste (and platies in such a small tank will produce lots of waste) and the ammonia they produce from this waste is highly toxic to fish even at barely detectable levels. The ammonia interferes with breathing, causes skin burns and eventually destroys internal organs.

The filter has two functions, one to physically remove particulates and the second to break down the toxic components in the waste (ammonia and nitrite) into the much less toxic nitrate, which you then keep at low levels with regular water changes.

The way the filter breaks down ammonia and nitrite is by providing a good environment for filter bacteria. These bacteria "eat" the ammonia and convert it into nitrite, which is slightly less toxic. Other bacteria "eat" the nitrite and convert it to nitrate. Please google the water cycle for more information.

It takes 6-8 weeks for sufficient bacteria to grow to deal with the waste the fish will produce. In the meantime the fish will be exposed to fatal or near fatal levels of these toxins and are likely to die (quite painful deaths). Those fish that survive are often permanently affected in some way.

As Blaise has mentioned the tank is far too small for fish, especially fish that grow as large and bulky as platies. If you have any females they will already be pregnant as they store sperm for many months. Platies are the rabbits of the fish world and will breed continuously and in large numbers.

So what to do?

Firstly, decide whether you are prepared to get a much larger tank. If not, please return the fish to the shop.

If you are then get at least a 60l tank. This is generally about 2 foot by 1 by 1 in size.

To stop the fish being exposed to toxins immediately do a 50% water change and then do this at least daily. Use dechlorinated water (using the water dechlorinator) brought up to the correct temperature as the tank.

Buy some seachem prime. It isnt cheap but you only need tiny amounts so it will last a long time. This dechlorinates your water too but mist importantly it will completely neutralise those ammonia and nitrite toxins that will harm your fish. You can than use this to allow the bacteria to grow whilst the fish are still in the tank.

Feed the fish very sparingly for now. The less food in then the less waste and toxins out.

When you get the larger tank make sure you get a filter that isnt the disposable sort. Fish keeping is all about keeping good water quality. If that is right then the fish will be happy. So really fishkeeping is all.about keeping your filter bacteria alive and in good numbers. With this in mind always keep the filter running 24/7. Wash it in old tank water not tap water as the chlorine will.kill the bacteria and use a dechlorinater when.doing water changes.

It sounds like the pet shop has given you some very poor advice so be wary about acting on any future advice from them. We are here to help so any questions please ask.

NaomiM likes this.
  5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Great post ^^ :)

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice