Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

12 year old looking for a job or to volunteer with animals

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Bourbonandpumpkin, May 5, 2017.

1. Bourbonandpumpkin

Bourbonandpumpkin PetForums Junior

I have a passion for veterinary medicine and animals in general. I would love to gain experience with animals which may help me in the future. Any ideas?? Thank you!

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

You may be a little young to work in some places however I suggest you contact some local wildlife hospitals. In my experience the people who dedicate their lives to rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife tend to be overworked and welcome any one who is sensible and follows instructions. They may want you to come along with an adult, especially at first. They may only let you do the mucky jobs like poo cleaning and feeding to start with but be willing to do anything and you will learn lots.

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I agree with Kit. Definitely try the smaller places as they are often one-man bands, near enough, and would welcome the help. Especially if you are sensible and willing to do the mucky jobs.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

If you have your heart set on veterinary science as a career then any animal experience you can have is great. These days it is very competitive to het into vet school so creating a cv of experience even from your age is a good idea to show how keen you are. I recommend keeping a journal or the things you do, what you learn, what went well and what didn't. Anything you can think of.

Also get to know your local vet. Let them know you would be interested in veterinary medicine. You never know they may be happy to show you around the surgery when things are quiet and make some suggestions about getting some experience.

If you ask politely and come across as sensible and mature then they may well be willing to take you under their wing.

5. Bourbonandpumpkin

Thank you everyone I do understand I may be a bit young and I also understand how competitive veterinary school is which is why I what to start early. Thank you for all of your advice I will definitely try to ask my vet for advice! Thank you!!

kittih likes this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Good luck. It also doesn't hurt to write some letters to anywhere local that deal with any sorts of animals and politely ask if they have any suggestions or advice for you.

You could also invite some animal professionals (vets, rspca, groomers, animal rescues, stables, even police dog handlers to come and give a talk at your school or any clubs you belong to like scouts. Getting to know these people might lead to more opportunities. Have a chat with your teachers / club leaders to see if they might be interested in helping you.

Other places you can try are farms, zoos and abbatoirs

The main thing is to keeps record of your experiences and all that you learn. That's the thing that will impress vet schools too.

7. Bourbonandpumpkin

Yes thank you for your ideas I will definitely make a journal of all the things I have done and so on. My mum is good friends with some police dog handlers (they train dog to become police dogs maybe you already knew that) so I might help out with the feeding and basic stuff! Also my mum is good friends with a vet so I could ask her about advice!!

kittih likes this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice